Rebuilt and running rough

budgie955

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have started my project XS up for the 1st time and it runs, but mainly on the left cylinder. The right kicks in when you rev it up . It idles on the left pot and the right kicks in occasionally ,,Where to start please?

Its had :-
Carbs cleaned, new manifold rubbers, new gaskets, new points, new coils, new plugs, timing set, tappets set - so it should run like a dream.

Thanks in advance
Dave

has it been stood?i had this problem,the carbs were gummed up,i cleaned the passages/jets a few times with carb cleaner ,made no difference then had them ultrasonicaly cleaned,now it runs perfect!

If the carbs haven't been sync'd that could be your problem also. If the right carb butterfly is closing off completely or almost completely it could in essence be starving that cylinder for air/fuel basicly shutting that cylinder off. Check pilot jet and passages for obstructions and check your sync.

99 percent of the time when symptoms like yours appear it's a dirty idle circuits in the carb on the side not running.
Some times it can be fouled plugs, bad plug wires or caps, maybe even coils Or coil. Depending on the year and ignition system. \The 70 -79 had points with two coils, the 80 up used a TCI with one coil.
If we knew the year and model of the bike, the year of the carbs, it helps us help you.
They made many changes over the years. Carbs every two years got minor changes some years, major changes other years.
www.amckayltd.com/carbguide will help you clean and a adjust your carbs. It can take several times of cleaning before you get all the crud out of the tiny passages in the carbs.
Leo

Back