Rebuilt top end. Did I do something bad

RFritz79

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I rebuilt my top end a few months ago. I had the jugs off. Being my first time doing this, I used Yambond with the jug gasket. Now thinking back. I realized it is supposed to be dry. Will I have to do it over again due to leaks? The bike is all apart still so I have never fired the motor yet

You should probably be OK. I used sealer on mine and it's been fine for years. I used something different, some brush-on Form-a-Gasket stuff, but I don't see the Yamabond being much different.

In the future, I'm going to follow a tip from the Griz and try the spray-on Copper Coat. I'll do the head gasket too. This stuff will be much easier to apply - hang the gasket off a wire hook and spray both sides.

Yes it was from the Athena kit. I'll just see what happens when she's all together. I'm in Buffalo. So I have nothing but time to get ready for riding season

You will be ok, when we leave the base gasket out for bumping the compression we use 3m(Yamaha bond ) . It will make it harder to clean up if you ever take it apart again.

Back