Recommended replacement battery, plugs, etc?

Srawl

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m going through the “Getting to know your bike checklist” and want to use high quality materials, kind of the universally accepted “can’t go wrong with” part to use. So far this is what I know (or think I know).

Oil- Shell Rotella 15w40

And

Plugs- NGK 4055 BPR 7EIX

Those seem to both come highly recommend with no complaints.

Can you recommend a quality battery? That seems to be an all over the place recommendation, sealed, not sealed, AGM... and several more. I just want a quality battery... I’ve also read that the factory battery is under powered... so yea a clear, specific recommended make and model or part number would be greatly appreciated.

Also, and full disclosure I haven’t done much research into these yet, the checklist recommends checking into the ignition timing. This includes:

Coils

Condensers

Wires

Caps

Any links to recommended replacements?

I’m not necessarily looking for the OEM factory replacement, I’m more than happy to upgrade using newer or better technologies as long as it’s alright to do so.

I also think this could be a good companion thread to that checklist. All those recommended items in one place to avoid 10 individual threads.

Thanks

I don't use that oil or those plugs. I tried the 15-40 but the topend clattered more so I went back to the normally accepted 20-50. For plugs I just use the standard NGKs, not the fancy expensive ones. The standard NGK plugs have served me well for many years in all my bikes. You want the BP7ES, available at most auto parts stores for about $2 each. Buy a 4 pack so you have a couple spares. Don't buy them at a bike shop, you'll pay near double for the same dang plug.

The oil filtration system on these is rather crude so you should change the oil often, like every 1000 to 1500 miles. For that reason, I don't see the point of using fancy, expensive oils, or synthetics. You don't get your money's worth out of them because they're not in there that long. I just use plain dino oil, in fact the Walmart brand 20-50. You can get it in 5 quart jugs which is just perfect because these take about 2.5 quarts. Oh, and it's cheap, lol.

I use Castrol GTX in some of my bikes and Walmart SuperTech in others, but, I do consider them interchangeable.

Avoid buying ANYTHING at a dealership, there's always a better, cheaper source for the same products. Dealerships are not even worth considering when shopping for something.

I like the lead acid batteries for $40, I've been buying Exide lately. At $40 and the lifespan compared to others, it's my best choice available.

Sparkplug wires can be an expensive and hard thing to track down, that is, if you want something better than the Briggs&Stratton variety that is available at most online catalog stores. I used to put together a kit of silicone wire and caps for GoldWings and was selling them on ebay until my source for caps dried up. I have just found a source for caps for the XS650's, I should offer up a kit for the XS's.

Scott

Last edited:
You should. So... how soon can you ship...

I think I will put this together, shipping sucks, but my total price would beat Accel and others. Not ready yet, but stay tuned. My wire is silicone (heat resistant), 7mm (can be used in most coils), alloy core (doesn't tarnish or corrode like copper) and it's dark blue (doesn't jump out at you like yellow and red).

Scott

Last edited:
IMHO the pamco all in one ignition and advance is a worthwhile ignition upgrade
$150 not much more than all the parts to redo the points.type ignition and more consistent and accurate. You will also need a dual tower coil, many to choose from.

Yes, considering the price of two sets of points and a condenser, multiple times, it's a good deal, with a hell of a lot less maintenance.

Scott

Last edited:
Back