Red/White wire vs Brown wire

Prisondawg

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm trying to simplify my wires. My plan is to eliminate all the 10 amp fuses and keep only the 20 amp main fuse. There's a junction of red/white and brown wires. Are they technically the same thing ? I assume that the red/white wires draw power from the brown wire that is common power. The red/white wires feed the coil along with the TCI. My harness is a 78 however I modified it to work with my 81 engine with a single coil and TCI box. That being said would it make sense that I can just run any red/white wire into a brown and I won't lose mess anything up? I have my coil tapped in on one side , and the other side to the TCI. Should i just cut out any red/white wires that aren't going to a coil ?

Brown is switched power. A brown wire feeds power to the kill switch. Red/white wires from the kill switch feed power to the ignition. If you've ever had a throttle stick open, a fuel leak or overflow, or other emergency that makes shutting down in a hurry something you really want to do, you'll value the kill switch.

Yes, the brown and R/W are essentially the same, a switched power wire. But not all browns run through the kill switch so make sure the one you choose for the coil and ignition does. As far as eliminating any other R/W wires, you won't find too many. About the only other I see is the power feed through the safety relay to the starter solenoid.

Back