TCI Pick-up coil wiring color codes

atom4488

XS650 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Hopefully the collective will be able to shed some light on this...
My TCI pick-up coil harness consists of three wires; an orange, a black and a grey. All my reference wiring diagrams (Clymer) tell me that my p/u coil harness should have a black/white, a red/white and a green/white wire. Can anyone correlate my orange/black/grey to what the Clymer manual shows?

The object of the exercise is to set-up a test stand to test-fire an engine before putting it in the bike. Second objective is going to be converting a non-TCI bike to TCI, at the same time doing the Gonzo TCI update.

Brgds and tks in advance for any wisdom shared!

1655226820977.png

Genius! Thanks a lot, Jim!

... if I may ask another question... at the OEM TCI box, based on my Clymer manual, the red/white is power, orange goes to the coil and black is ground, right?
(sorry if these seem like elemental questions, I just don't want to cook these 40-yr-old electronics! Also, electrics is my weak suit!)

Brgds,

... if I may ask another question... at the OEM TCI box, based on my Clymer manual, the red/white is power, orange goes to the coil and black is ground, right?
No. First of all, dump the Clymer... or at least let it collect dust on the shelf. If you look in Tech, there's a link to the Yamaha factory manual you can download. It's a much better manual.

Black...Black/White is common (center tap)
Orange...White/Red is retard signal
Grey...White/Green is advance signal

Oops... just reread your question.
At the TCI box...

Black is ground
Red/White is power
Orange goes to coil

So yes, you are correct.

Back