Reg/Rec and stator 80+ rotor etc. 79-

sailorsam

Blood, Sweat and Gears!!
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I can use a reg/rec and stator from a 80+ with the rotor on my 79. I was going to do the pmcopete reg/rec mod with the nylon screws, but i can't find the right screws and if i can just swap the stator and combined reg/rec that i have it would be easier.

I'm wondering if I can use a reg/rec and stator from a 80+ with the rotor on my 79. I was going to do the pmcopete reg/rec mod with the nylon screws, but i can't find the right screws and if i can just swap the stator and combined reg/rec that i have it would be easier.

Hi Sam,
I did just that on the basket case '79 I resurrected and it worked fine.
(edit) {re-read your post, you'll need the later rotor too or the later iggybox can't work although the later stator should work with an early rotor as far as charging goes.}
Mind you, I swapped in the later iggybox too because the '79's points were also MIA.
But I don't see why it shouldn't work with your points iggy either.
Regardless, both ignition systems work off the battery and the battery don't care what keeps it charged, eh?

Hi Sam,
I did just that on the basket case '79 I resurrected and it worked fine.
(edit) {re-read your post, you'll need the later rotor too or the later iggybox can't work although the later stator should work with an early rotor as far as charging goes.}
Mind you, I swapped in the later iggybox too because the '79's points were also MIA.
But I don't see why it shouldn't work with your points iggy either.
Regardless, both ignition systems work off the battery and the battery don't care what keeps it charged, eh?

Excellant!! that's what i thought, just wanted to see if anyone had done it successfully.

And the SAGA continues!! after determining that the 80+ stator was no good, I've also found that the rotor is weak(3 ohms). luckily i have a spare that's good(5.5 ohms). now i have to wait for the puller from Mikesxs. I also ordered a vr1010 regulator(75 jeep Cherokee) from NAPA to replace the original regulator, from my research here it appears that this regulator will not require the "nylon screws" mod. That's good, because i can't find the screws anywhere!! did the rectifier mod last night, at least that went well!! So once again it's hurry up and wait. :wtf:

Back