Reg/Rec help

MAndrade1980

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am trying to wire my XS650, kickstart only, PMA installed. My question is regarding the reg/rec and the green and black wires (images attached of reg/rec). I get where the 3 yellows and red go, but not sure about the black and green. I would imagine one of the two would be to ground, but not sure which one. Help!! :banghead: Looked through the sticky posts through all of the diagrams but can't seem to figure it out.

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 182
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 193
Often the green is ground, the black may be for voltage sencing. Do you know what bike your reg/rec came from? If so look up the wiring diagram for that bike and see how it hooks up.
Leo

Thanks Leo. I have no idea what bike this came from. The po had the red and black combined and the black to ground. I could try that, wasn't sure if someone was familiar with this reg/rec. I haven't been able to find a diagram within reg/rec in it unfortunately and wasn't sure if how it was wired before was right.

If someone who is more familiar with your reg/rec reads this they can give you better info.
If it was me I might get a reg/rec with less wires. Hughs Hand Built sells a brand new one for around $49.
Leo

Looks like tat did the trick. Now starts on the third kick. Sounded like a helicopter taking off though. Have the idle screws out 1.5. More importantly the voltage didn't die on the battery. Before requiring its start and run for a minute then not start again and the battery would go down to like 9v. If the rpms are high like that should I go out on the idle screws or in?

Idle mix screw or idle speed screw? If idle mix screws that depends on the year of the carbs.
If the idle is too high then turn the idle speed screw counterclockwise to lower the idle speed.
The idle mix screws only have a noticable effect on idle speed if the idle speed is very low. Like 400 rpms.
You might want to read www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
leo

It starts real quick now which is great. I shot the last time I ran it, isn't long but shows how high it's running. Let me know if you cannot see the video:

Back