Reg/rec mods

mine works flawlessly, cost me about 50 with everything, being i had to get all new equipment, and solder too.

I did the RS/Chysler mod for a few reasons. One for reliability(new vs old parts) 2. Its way less expensive than a new one piece rec/reg. 3. I can say "I built it". Is it worth it? Thats up to the owner. For me it was. There's the bonus of being able to replace individual parts instead of the whole unit if one goes this way.
How relable is it? I've been running mine sine Feb or so, so I dont have much time or miles but so far so good.

I have a 77. Check my pics out and you'll see the road I'm on with it. Having issues keeping the battery charged, figured if try replacing reg/rec... Coils and condenser. Any special things I need to know??

Nope. Won't hurt a thing. Use locktite.

I think the guy who figured it out, Pamcopete, has guite a few years on the set up.
The combo reg/rec from most suppliers, Like Mike's, doesn't come with a warranty.
If it gets wired wrong or quits then your out the $100 or so bucks you spent. The Chrysler reg has a 1 year free replacement warranty. No questions asked, take it back, get a new one.
The Radio Shack rectifier, if you use connectors to hook the wires to the rectifiers then if it quits you can go to ost any Radio Shack, get a new parts and just replace it.
I have used the same rectifier to build and repair many electronic devices over 30 + years and never had a failure.
The regulator was used for 15 years or so. I have been a shade tree mechanic for 40 + years and don't recall to many complaints about Chyrsler regulators. Delco much more often and most people say they are the better system.
So I think you can do the mod and not worry to much, I have a couple years on mine and no trouble except what I caused, the warranty works.
Leo

Back