Regulator/Rectifier - 1981 Special

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello,
I am in the process of redoing my wiring harness on my '81 Special. To that end, I purchased the TC Bros chopper wiring harness.

O my regulator/rectifier I have an 8 pin connector. However, only 6 of the pins are wired. There is an additional red wire coming from the unit, which I believe at oe point was connected to the connector, but ripped out at some point. Is this correct? If it is that leaves 7 of the pins connected. How many should be connected?

Also, my ignition switch has 3 wires. Red, Blue, and Brown. If I turn the switch on it connects red and blue. Can I use this as my main switch for the bike and ignore brown. (I dont care about a 'park' feature.)

Thanks,
Adam

Yes, that red was originally in the 8 pin connector. All 7 wires are required..............check out a wiring diagram (Tech section)

When the ignition is turned to the "On" it connects red to brown and to blue. Brown is the power supply to the fuse panel. Blue is the power to the tail and meter lights.

There is a "park" position when you turn the key fully to the left. It powers up the blue only.

So to confirm what you are saying. In the 'On' position all three wires are connected together?

If I want the equivalent of a toggle switch I can cap the brown wire and ignore it and simply put the ignition switch in line with the + side of the battery terminal. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Adam

If the TC Bro's wiring is colored like the stock wiring then, no, you can't ignore the brown wire. When the stock switch is in the on position power goes out the brown wire to the fuses and the reg/rec, and the rotor brushes. This tell the reg/rec what the battery voltage is so it knows if the battery needs charging. The brown to the rotor brushes is so when the reg/rec senses when the battery needs charging it can turn on the rotor to make the alternator charge the battery.
After the fuses it powers the ignition. As well as any thing else the bike has, like a brake light, a horn, turn signals.
You can cap it off and ignore it, but your bike might not run.
The blue wire off the switch just lights the tail light.
Leo

Back