Rejetting

kayakcullen

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello there, I am new to rejetting but I had a quistion about it. I was interested in cutting my exsaust off at the muffler and was wanting to know the easiest way about dealing with the carbs. I know I will have to change the jets out for larger ones, but I don't really know where to start. Is that simply a trial and error, by just going to the next step bigger? Or, is there more to it than that?

The answer to those questions is the same, yes.
Some times a one up change can work, other times it can take alot of fooling around with. Pilots, mains, needles, needle jets, they all may need tinkering.
There is a good garb guide over at the garage, covers about any questions.

I got a 1975 xs 650 about 3 weeks ago, it had no wiring on it everything else in boxes, so what I have is a roller to build a bobber. anyway I just had to see if it would start up, I did the nessasary wiring, cleaned carbs, changed oil, set valves and what ever else I thought needed. to be done bofore I hit the start button. the guy I got it from said he couldn't say how many yrs it's been since it ran last. Keep in mind I'm not real good at this yet. Anyway sprayed some starting fluid in it and it started it filled my garage full of chunks blowing out the pipe but I keep it running with the choke untill it settled down. It got to a point to were I could rev it up. then I noticed the left pipe looked very hot if I looked real close I could see a little red glow. So the show was over and I shut it down. So I took the carbs back off and cleaned them a lot better.But can someone say why it was so hot, was it because the carbs are not clean enough or maybe I need to go down a notch on the needle. Thanks Fred In Michigan

I have a 79 with BS34's with the same pipes your talking about and pod air filters. The pilot is up one size, needle is stock position and the Main is up one size. Seems perfect, nice pull and medium brown plugs.

Fred, You might want to check for a plugged exhaust on the hot side. If chunks of stuff were flying out, maybe some of the stuff didn't fly out and is restricting the exhaust.

Back