Relays and electrical parts removal

bobber33

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok so electrical question.
On my 82 Cafe project i want to remove all the useless electrical items.
(but still keeping electric starter)

Removing
-light checker
-reserve lighting unit
-side stand relay
-start cut relay
-safety relay
and whatever else i may be forgetting.

QUESTION: Can the relay's just be unplugged from the harness? or do i need to start jumping wires to make things work.
If so does anyone have a simple explanation of what wires need to be jumped to ensure
everything will still work, like the starter etc...

relay.jpg

To the best of my recollection, the only ones you can just remove are the turn signal canceller and maybe the side stand relay. The others would take some jumpering. There are drawings and explanations on the site about what goes on in the various relays and you should find them and jumper them into the state you want. Otherwise somebody else will be doing that for you. You migth want to look into rewiring it from scratch, to have a slicker result.

If you want to keep the electric starter the safety rlay is a good thing the keep. It will save a lot of wear and tear on the gears between the starter and crank. It is designed to turn off the stater much faster than your thumb can.
I agree with xjwmx on the total rewire. I like this diagram. It gives you just the basics. It shows how to swap from points to TCI and from the old regand rec to a combo reg/rec.

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 1,381
If you want to keep the electric starter the safety rlay is a good thing the keep. It will save a lot of wear and tear on the gears between the starter and crank. It is designed to turn off the stater much faster than your thumb can.
I agree with xjwmx on the total rewire. I like this diagram. It gives you just the basics. It shows how to swap from points to TCI and from the old regand rec to a combo reg/rec.

I've re-wired the bobbers without a problem. One has electric start too.
BUT this cafe will keep - starter - turn signals - original style hand controls, hi-lo, horn, starter button etc.
Its a TCI bike with lots of wires. The harness is like new so i'm just gonna use the parts i want to use, and tidy up the rest.
BUT i'm still looking for an answer about what needs to be jumped or not jumped.?
Lots of people have done this, i have looked at allot of threads about this but nobody seems to have a straight forward answer? other than what i've found about the LED flasher wiring, and capping off the yellow wire from the alternator to remove the RLU.
but what about the other relay's?

This would be helpfull information, if someone would post how they have done it. For other posters to say search for it or learn how to do it for yourself seems kind of dickish to me. I have searched, and I am trying to figure it out. Why not help someone if you have the info. Becoming a search engine expert, is not the goal of this site, is it?

bobber33;

For 82 model:

Light checker..........82 year does not have one

RLU............unplug it, connect blue/black to blue/yellow

Side stand relay...........unplug it

Starter circuit cutoff relay.............unplug it, connect red/white to red/white

Safety relay...............unplug it, connect red/white to red/white; also connect
blue/black to red/yellow

Flasher cancelling...............unplug it

The Safety Relay is a good one to keep........................it keeps the headlight off until after the engine has started (more voltage available for the ignition). Also for the reason Leo mentioned.

This would be helpfull information, if someone would post how they have done it. For other posters to say search for it or learn how to do it for yourself seems kind of dickish to me. I have searched, and I am trying to figure it out. Why not help someone if you have the info. Becoming a search engine expert, is not the goal of this site, is it?

There's a real need to get guys and gals to use the "Search" and the "Tech", because there is a huge amount of knowledge just for reading. The same questions are asked over and over.

Here's example #1 : Someone posts "I'm new to motorcycles, but I just bought a hardtail with pods and straight pipes..................tell me what jets I need for my carbs"

Here's example #2 : Someone posts " I'm new to motorcycles, and bought this 1978 XS650 Special. It has the stock BS38 carbs. Also has stock air boxes and stock exhausts.I've read a book on basic carbs, and I have just read the "Carb guide" in the Tech section. I have completed up to step #y, but I don't understand the part that says.................xxxx xxxx xxxx. How do I proceed?

Example #1.............does not say what year bike or carbs. No indication that he has tried to research information on his own. Just looking for some quick fix, without doing any digging on his own.

Example #2..........gives good information, and has spent some time reading to learn more on his own.

#1 guy may not get much help or may just get a "Read the carb guide, and come back and ask questions when you know more"

#2 guy will be well received on the forum, and likely get tons of help.

bobber33;

For 82 model:

Starter circuit cutoff relay.............unplug it, connect red/white to red/white

Safety relay...............unplug it, connect red/white to red/white; also connect
blue/black to red/yellow

The Safety Relay is a good one to keep........................it keeps the headlight off until after the engine has started (more voltage available for the ignition). Also for the reason Leo mentioned.

Thanks. I've already figured it out and was gonna post my results anyway.
I did however pull off a light checker? Was located by the coil (small/ish rectangle looking thing) and the wire colors were what was indicated in the wiring diagram as the light checker. Either way it was something un-needed apparently.
Bike will be finished today, just been too busy to post stuff. I will try to wrap up the post's tonight.
thanks again.

sorry my bad, just looked at the wrong diagram. I pulled the flasher canceling unit.. not the light checker. :)

bobber33;

For 82 model:

blue/black to red/yellow

my haynes manual says 82 and 83 has same wiring. Would you agree with this?? on other note Search works good to get all threads from one person and you can skim them faster from people you know knows , ya know :laugh:

Back