Removing and replacing kickstarter case seal

shaunster

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 1981 XS650 SH that I am working on and getting ready to start for the first time in years and get it on the road. I am almost complete, with just the RH side cover to be installed, filled with oil and I will be ready to start the motor.

However I am having issues with the Kickstart seal that sits on the outside of the RH cover.

The old seal was pretty much perished, and when trying to remove it, the inner section of the seal just pulled away leaving a whole lot of seal left in the groove.

What is a good way to remove the remaining seal so that I can install a new seal?

Below is an image (Click for Full Size) of how the old seal is currently stuck in there:

th_DSC01447.jpg

Any tips on how to remove it?

Thanks,

Shaun

shaunster,

I finally bought a seal remover (essentially a handle with 2 curved hooks at one end) a while ago to get some of the more stubborn seals out. It looks like you might still have enough of the original seal in place to make that an option. You could also resort to the time-honored tradition of using a large screwdriver as a lever, with a block of wood padding the fulcrum. You'd have to be very careful and not gouge the seal bore as you pry it out, though. Another option would be to but the side cover in an oven (NOT your SWMBO's!) and turn it to, say 150 deg or so: the aluminum will expand more than the seal. HTH

mine did that to. I used a large blade screwdriver. they are pretty tight. go easy. put pressure on it, and let it 'slip' out.
when you put the new one back in, coat the surfaces with lube, and she'll pop in straight. when you put the side cover on, lube the kick shaft, and make sure the shaft is smooth and clean, also make sure that the kick mechanism is in ALL THE WAY!!
I didn't notice the small block on the end of the kick assembly was not seated all the way, and and took way to long to get it on.

Mine was also tough to remove... (I don't have a seal remover), I just used a few
different screw drivers and carefully pried it out... I think I even used a very small
one to pry away one side a bit and spray some penetrating oil... and it ended up
popping out nicely.

If you do nick up the sidecase, don't get too worried about it, you can always use
a little threadbond liquid gasket on the outside of the new seal when you seat it...
it will create a great seal for you.

I remember that seal was a bit of a patience tester.

I remember that seal was a bit of a patience tester

indeed. even more when the gasket is getting sloppy from 1104 sealer, and you cant remember off the top of your head how to reset the kick assembly. nearly thru the damn thing out the door just to get the cover on!!

Thanks for all of the replies everyone, I will try and get a seal remover and a few more screwdrivers to try and get it out.

The kickstarter assembly I sorted out easily enough, it is just this one seal that is giving me the grief.

Thanks,

Shaun

I remember that seal was a bit of a patience tester

indeed. even more when the gasket is getting sloppy from 1104 sealer, and you cant remember off the top of your head how to reset the kick assembly. nearly thru the damn thing out the door just to get the cover on!!

Yes, I had to replace my shift shaft, it was buggered... and some other bits,
so I pulled the kickshaft out... and it was like a mind bender trying to figure out
how to get it correctly back in.

My manual had an explanation and some pictures, but they weren't worth two
squirts.

I too almost tossed the damn motor off the bench.

thanx, inxs. I figured it out then, but in a panic, with a floppy gasket, It can be very aggrevating. I think that in those kits of puzzles, like, put the ring thru the square, or turn the coin over without touching it, they should include a kick shaft, and a small section of a 650 for the tru test of skill.

Thanks all, I managed to get it out and replace it by using a lighter to heat up the seal from within the kick shaft hole, and then using several screw drivers to pry it out.

Thanks for the help!

Just had to pull one out before sending the engine cover over to powder coat. Used the old BenzOmatic torch and the rubber cooked of and popped out on its own. No tools needed!

Back