Removing battery box....trying to install blade fuses too.....

Splexin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Firstly, I'm a noob.

OK I have been try to remove the starter solenoid with no success. I ended up rounding out the top of the screw and can't get a socket to stay on the bolt. I've already removed the airboxes but still can't properly remove the solenoid. So now I am trying to remove the metal box/chassis which holds the solenoid, battery etc. Yes I know I'm probably making something simple so complicated but I'm frustrated after spending all day trying to get the solenoid out. I've already disconnected most of the wiring harness, removed the battery, and even removed the safety relay. The battery box can't be lifted through the top, though I would think it should. How do I get it out? Removing the rear fender or what? :banghead:

Also, I bought in-line blade fuse connectors from Mikes. The wires are much thicker than those in the wiring harness for the fuses. Will a wire coupler be the best option for connecting the two?

Feel free to post links or ideas. FYI, I have a 1980 XS650 Special II.

Thanks in advance

Removing the battery box is one of the "Rubik's Cubes" on the 650, lol. It will come out one side or the other if you fool with it and twist and turn it enough. Don't ask me exactly how though. I think I only did it once and then promptly forgot how, lol. Easiest method is to remove that plastic rear inner fender then pull the box out the back.

Remember, your fuses are the lifelines to your electrical power. I would crimp AND solder the connections. Don't do like my buddy did and just squeeze the crimps on with regular pliers, lol. He still suffers from phantom and random electrical problems to this day because of his (lack of) wiring skills.

Ah you confirmed my worst fears :doh:

Thanks for reminding me about soldering after crimping. Didn't think of that. I think while I've got the bike dismantled I may replace some other parts too. It's still all stock. lol :bike:

UPDATE: Well, I finally got it out! It came out through the side but only after I removed the plastic inner fender. I almost thought I was going to have to remove the wheel! The main problem was the ignition unit attached to the bottom. At first I couldn't reach the bolts with my drill to remove them but after removing the rear fender I managed to do so. Even had to use a screw remover because one was rounded out! Unfortunately my bolt remover wouldn't work with the solenoid bolt!!!! The head is practically rounded off and I don't have a saw good enough to get it out. I've tried bolt loosening fluids and the whole nine yards. Won't even budge. Therefore my easiest solution = order another battery box! $12 on eBay, and the one I bought looks better condition than mine :thumbsup:

Hopefully I can put it all back together :laugh:

Last edited:
Back