removing camshaft bushings??

The bushings/labrynth seals used in the cam are all you need, no rubber seals. Lube with a Moly based grease.
I have heard of using a needle bearings set in there, but assume it gets lubed the same way.
Leo

mmm, maybe you need to put in the labrynth seals and the needle bearings? Otherwise the bushings would be on their own. Mikes says they are a repalcement for the bushings but don't mention the seals at all. What do you reckon? Thanks xsLeo.

Mike's item # 05-0034 camshaft internal cam needle bearing upgrade/replacement for #05-0033 fit all 650's 70-84 is the needle bearing you refer to?
Item #05-0033 mentioned in that description is an internal metal labyrinth seal(bushing)
#05-0032 camshaft internal metal bushing and # 05-0033 camshaft internal metal labyrinth seal(bushing) are what go in the cam for the advance rod in the stock points set up. And used the advancer rod in the 80 up models.
From what Mike's says the needle bearing replaces the labyrinth seal, not the bushing.
Leo

Hi XSLeo. If you had a bushing and the needle bearing, what would seal it? I can understand a needle bearing replacing a bush - fairly common, but usually a bearing would have a seal of some description. Using that logic, I would have thought that the bearing and the labrynith seal would go together. But then again, what is the seal , sealing? Sorry if I sound stupid but I like to understand mechanical things.
Maybe I'd better stick to the stock setup?

The grease you use is fairly thick and being the advance rod only turns about 1/4 turn inside the cam then the needle bearings are a bit overkill.
If you want them then use them. They might let the advance rod respond to changes in engine speed quicker.
The advance rod does spin the same speed as the cam, but the grease is thick enough to stay in place even then, so no seal needed.
The labyrinth seal with the internal groves acts more as a reservoir for extra gease than as a seal as most think of a seal. Why they called it a labyrinth seal instead of a grease reservoir, could have been in translation from Japanese to English. Who knows?
Leo

The grease you use is fairly thick and being the advance rod only turns about 1/4 turn inside the cam then the needle bearings are a bit overkill.
If you want them then use them. They might let the advance rod respond to changes in engine speed quicker.
The advance rod does spin the same speed as the cam, but the grease is thick enough to stay in place even then, so no seal needed.
The labyrinth seal with the internal groves acts more as a reservoir for extra gease than as a seal as most think of a seal. Why they called it a labyrinth seal instead of a grease reservoir, could have been in translation from Japanese to English. Who knows?
Leo

Thanks XSLeo, you're a font of knowledge by the sounds of it.:thumbsup: How long have you been interested in the 650? I'm only new at the caper but find it pretty interesting. Gets my mind off boring things like work etc. It's a good idea to keep the mind stimulated as well I think.
cheers

I got my first XS650 while I was in the Air Force. A freind had a piston seizure and got orders to Spain. I bought his 75 for $400. This was in 78. I rebuilt the engine. Been working with them off and on since.
Leo

Back