Removing Camshaft Without Breaking Cam Chain?

prodgod

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking to do a bit of cleaning and replacing gaskets and seals on my 77 XS650 engine and I need to get the camshaft out so I can tear it down even more. The manual that I downloaded for the engine overhaul said that you have to break the chain to get the camshaft out. I don't have a cam chain breaker. Is there a way to remove the cam without breaking the chain?

I recently overhauled a Honda V45 engine and to get the camshafts out you unbolt the gear from the shaft and it will take enough tension off the chain so you can slip the shaft out. I noticed that the gear is fixed to the shaft so I can't do that.

Is there a way to remove the camshaft without breaking the cam chain?

Thanks,
Mike

Yes you can remove it without breaking the chain. Just lift the cam shaft up enough so that the bearings come out of the head. Then pull the bearings off the cam, that will allow it to drop down enough to slip the chain off.

Thanks, that was exactly what I was hoping for. I will try that next time I have time to work on it.

-Mike

You don't need a chain breaker. Find the factory master link .....

FactoryLink.jpg

..... and grind the pins flush with the plate .....

GroundLink-Small.jpg

Then just pry the plate off with a small screwdriver or tap the pins out with a small pin punch. If you have near 20K or more on the engine, you should probably be replacing the chain anyway.

BTW, I'm not sure of a source other than MikesXS for a quality replacement chain, but his chain has stretched to the point that I can barely adjust it on my camchain tensioner. use someone elses chain, I only have about 10K on this last one, and it is sloppy...

BTW, I'm not sure of a source other than MikesXS for a quality replacement chain, but his chain has stretched to the point that I can barely adjust it on my camchain tensioner. use someone elses chain, I only have about 10K on this last one, and it is sloppy...
fuk, are u serious? i havent had a problem with any of mikes' parts, but it seems the reports are biulding up fast. I wish 650central's shopping cart worked. ide go there instead. dont like talking over the phone. so impersonal.
oh, when you put those four cam bearings back in, make sure you tap them as far in toward the center of the cam. if you dont, you will leak out the points housings

It's a lot harder to install an endless chain. You need to have the cases split to get it around the crank. He doesn't seem to sell a master link for it. You can get the same chain and a master link from 650Central.

It's a lot harder to install an endless chain. You need to have the cases split to get it around the crank. He doesn't seem to sell a master link for it. You can get the same chain and a master link from 650Central.

Thanks, I missed the fact that it was endless. Are the Tsubaki chains quality? On 650Central, I see a Tsubaki "Peanut" cam chain (#TR25-9834) that includes a rivet master link, but also says that it is endless. Is that the one I should use since I do not plan on splitting the cases? Also, my engine is a '77 and it says that chain fits '74+.

The Tsubaki chains are claimed to be higher quality than the original DIDs. I've used both and not had a problem with either yet but the bikes only have maybe 10K at most on them so far. I have the DID in mine with about 8K on it so far and it still seems fine. I check/adjust it often, about every 1000 miles.

Both chains that 650Central sells are endless. You'll need to break them to install them and then re-join them using a master link. The "peanut" style one is a new chain he just started selling recently. Costing 1/3 less than his other Tsubaki, including a master link, and still claiming to be better than the original, I would be inclined to try it. That's the one I'll probably go with on my next top end job. Yes, it will fit your '77.

Back