Removing chain...

maxpower3

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently bought my first xs650 (a 1982) because I wanted to own a bike I could fix. I've had a bike before, but it was a newer-model sportsbike, and I really had no clue how to do anything but change the oil. I want to learn how to actually do things to this bike, like fix, maintain, create, etc.

I've been reading up on everything here, and I'm starting to tear apart the back end of the bike so I can hardtail it. I've run into a snag though trying to remove the chain. I searched the forum and even browsed the Knucklebuster shop manual, but didn't find a solution. I "broke" the chain by removing the master link, but I can't figure out how to get it off the sprocket nearest the front wheel. Any help?

Thank you in advance.

- welcome, put her in neutral and pull the chain gently without kinking the end, so it doesnt catche on the clutch push rod

Thanks. I actually tried that, but I guess I wasn't pulling hard enough because it wouldn't budge. I'll try it again tonight and be a little more forceful with it.

it should not need forcing at all. you should remove the left side cover so you can see what it's hanging up on.. when you go to put the chain back on you'll need to take it off anyway.

wait so tell me something. all i have to do is take out the master link and pull really hard and the chain will come apart? how do i get it back together then? since my bike is in pieces on the floor i was thinking about putting a 32 tooth sprocket but i can't get the chain off.

Yeah, the neutral light up on the handlebar mount helps some in that regard. :)

your right..........but..........with the chain off makes it hard to rock back and forth to help find neutral while sitting on it..........seems to have a neutral problem...........so.........hard to see the neutral light while finding the gears using your hands :D .............

to take the chain off you remove the master link. to take links out you need a chain breaker tool.

unless someone has come up with a diy method of breaking a chain?

Back