Removing Electric Start

szts

XS650 Member
Reaction score
The electric starter on my 81 xs650 does not work. I actually makes some cool toy machine gun sounding noises. I wanna remove it and go to kick start only. Is that a pain in the dick or worthwhile?

Kick only sounds romantic... but in practice it just sucks if you die at a light or stop sign.

I vote to fix your starter unless you are competition racing... there are many threads on it.

I agree when ellectrics r good starter fully engages n she starts right up, has saved me on stalls.

Posted via Mobile

I have only ever owned a kick only bike that is less than reliable... It came with a broken starter. Learning to ride was just a joy.

Love my kick only bike if it stalls I just kick it over and go
Who cares if someone has to wait 20 seconds for me to start
My bike their problem not mine

Thats the first thing I did to my 79 special. Its four bolts and a cable, two of the bolts are in a hell of a tight spot.

Definitely get rid of the electric leg. And those pesky shock absorbers. And see if you can find some steel-banded wooden wheels while you're at it. :poke:

Just yanking your chain. It's your bike, do what makes you happy. I'm old and the more things I can do by pushing buttons, the happier I am. :bike:

You don't have to remove it just disconnect it. If you remove it you have to get a plug to put in the hole where the starter was and you could always replace it at a later time.
I am 62 yrs old and I am for kick only CUT THE SHIT OUT OF IT !!!! and make it your own. Its your first bike do it up.
KEEP CHOPPIN
Rich

Attachments

• 1st bike.jpg
    1st bike.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 149
  • l.gif
    l.gif
    210.9 KB · Views: 181
  • xs650 w springer.jpg
    xs650 w springer.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 149
  • xs650orange.jpg
    xs650orange.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 100_0856.jpg
    100_0856.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 120
You don't have to remove it just disconnect it. If you remove it you have to get a plug to put in the hole where the starter was and you could always replace it at a later time.
I am 62 yrs old and I am for kick only CUT THE SHIT OUT OF IT !!!! and make it your own. Its your first bike do it up.
KEEP CHOPPIN
Rich

AMEN BROTHER KEEP CHOPPIN you can leave it all on there and still use the kicker.

I removed mine from my new engine, everything. The engine thats still in the bike, something is locked on solid on it so i just removed the wire from the solenoid to the starter. Its a shitty afterthought that yamaha added, i dont miss it. Both my klr 250cc are kick only too. who cares if you stall, they all start super easy. Owning kickstart only bike is great way to get them cheap because people are scared of them. hahaha.

:)With both my 1972 and later my 1975 I almost always kicked started them, the '72 because I was used to kick starting Brit bikes of the time, and the '75 because it was so easy. I have to say though when something happened that caused the bike to stall at a light or some such thing (my riding buddies and I delighted in reaching over when stopped and hitting your buddies kill switch), in those cases I sure enjoyed the electric starter. Fortunately for the most part we have matured since the 70's and don't engage I that foolishness...mostly

I do have a piece here that someone made (not me) that has the end of a starter with the block off plug if you need one $20.00 shipped in USA

Back