removing old pushrod bushing

Did you try when you had the bushing and seal out?
It should come out, it's smaller than the hole in the shaft.
I have a screwdriver with interchangable bits. It has a magnet to hold the bits. The magnet is on a telescoping rod. That works good for reaching deep into small holes to retrieve stuff.
I can't think of anything that could hold it in.
Leo

Neither can I. And yeah, I tried it when the bushing was out even. the magnet got a good hold on it but it wouldn't budge. I even sprayed carb cleaner in there. In the past that's helped break the grip that oil can sometimes have in situations like this. It's OK, I've gotta remove the right side cover for polishing anyway, I'll just remove the pressure plate and do it that way. I could just replace the outside rod but not only have I already bought the one piece shaft I wanna make sure something else is not goin' on in there. 'preciate your help.

You should check the clutch anyway. Measure the plate thicknesses (should be 3mm), replace the springs (don't get Mike's), and check the cush springs on the back of the outer hub. They have a nasty habit of breaking. Fix the drag clip on the #4 starter gear too while you're in there. The starters grind on just about all these bikes and that's the cheap and easy fix. Clutch has to be off to get at it so might as well do it while the opportunity presents itself.

You should check the clutch anyway. Measure the plate thicknesses (should be 3mm), replace the springs (don't get Mike's), and check the cush springs on the back of the outer hub. They have a nasty habit of breaking. Fix the drag clip on the #4 starter gear too while you're in there. The starters grind on just about all these bikes and that's the cheap and easy fix. Clutch has to be off to get at it so might as well do it while the opportunity presents itself.

Cool, thanks!

Use an air hose-it may well blow out. I have magnets that will do it, I'll stick one in the mail if you don't get it out-I pulled one today. I would strongly suggest a one piece rod-there's way less side thrust on the bushing and seal.

John

Use an air hose-it may well blow out. I have magnets that will do it, I'll stick one in the mail if you don't get it out-I pulled one today. I would strongly suggest a one piece rod-there's way less side thrust on the bushing and seal.

John

thanks, John I already have the one piece rod. Actually it's prolly a good thing that the inner rod is stuck. My original plan was to check the clutch before I fired this guy up and I've gotten a little lazy and decided I'd just take a chance on it. Now, before I get the bike done i'm gonna check one more possible fail point off my list. I'm so intimate with this guy already I'm actually looking forward to learning more. Got the rotors drilled today, motor goes in the frame tomorrow morning, I'm stoked! Check my build thread
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7059 for pics tomorrow.

I'm only 12yrs late to the party but can someone explain to me why the piece that the bushing fits into spins ?!? :thumbsdown:
:thumbsdown:
It sit's inside the countershaft, which spins. It presses against the throwout bushing that pushes against the pressure plate on the clutch. So most of it is encased in spinning mass... which causes it to rotate also. Spinning isn't a feature, it's just that it doesn't really have a choice.

It sit's inside the countershaft, which spins. It presses against the throwout bushing that pushes against the pressure plate on the clutch. So most of it is encased in spinning mass... which causes it to rotate also. Spinning isn't a feature, it's just that it doesn't really have a choice.
Thanks Jim!

Back