Removing powdercoat from Mag wheels

Ironriot

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I had a local shop powdercoat my wheels and they did a boo boo. They ended powdercoating inside the lips of both wheels. I had asked if they've ever done wheels before and if they knew where to mask off and the guy replied yes he had done dozens of sets :shrug: so now I'm stuck with a bunch of powdercoat right where the beads go. Does anyone have some tips on how to remove it and not damage the powdercoating on the outer lip? I've considered using a dremel with small sanding drums. Any objections?

You don't think the tire will seal on the powdercoat? If it's fairly smooth, it should. Most factory alloy wheels on cars have clearcoat on the bead area. It actually helps the aluminum from corroding.

your wheels/tires should still seal just fine. DO NOT take a dremel to the wheel.

the powdercoater knows what hes doing, sounds like you dont

I powder coat wheels all the time I have never masked the inside lip. You will have no problems the should have a better seal with the more uniform surface.

your wheels/tires should still seal just fine. DO NOT take a dremel to the wheel.

the powdercoater knows what hes doing, sounds like you dont

I guess there's one of these on every board. Bill, If I already knew, do you think I'd be asking on a forum? :banghead:

The powdercoat is uniform enough all the way around so I'll just leave it be. Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it. This is my first time getting wheels powdercoated so its a learning process

I had asked if they've ever done wheels before and if they knew where to mask off and the guy replied yes he had done dozens of sets :shrug: so now I'm stuck with a bunch of powdercoat right where the beads go.

Sorry, the way the post was worded just rubbed me the wrong way I guess. Like you were trying to tell the powder guy how to do his job.

Maybe I read it wrong, I was probably having a bad day too. Forgive me?

Just wait 'till you meet Teebs, lucky for you he's on a bit of a hiatus at the moment.

Good luck with your build

Sorry, the way the post was worded just rubbed me the wrong way I guess. Like you were trying to tell the powder guy how to do his job.

Maybe I read it wrong, I was probably having a bad day too. Forgive me?

Just wait 'till you meet Teebs, lucky for you he's on a bit of a hiatus at the moment.

Good luck with your build

I probably should've worded it better. I went back and read it again and it did kinda sound like I was being an asshole. Ah well its all water under the bridge... And thanks I appreciate it. Hoping to get my bike out on the road by Mid-Spring so I'll need all the luck I can get!

Back