Removing safety circuits from a 78 SE ?

Yoozy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Lads, I've searched, but I don't think I'm using the correct terminology, me only being able to speak Mancunian an all that.
Can anyone direct me to a drawing on how to remove all the safety warning stuff from my 78 Se please. I just want the basic stuff.
Something to tell me where it all is would help.

TIA :thumbsup:

Jayel has a simplfied wiring diagram in his album.
Not sure it is what you want but take a look.

Thanks, I'll have a shufty :thumbsup:

I've never seen such a way over the top set up on a bike before, its bonkers :laugh:

This thread Some wiring diagrams found in the tech section is the mother-lode of all things electrical. Once you know the correct name for any relay, circuit or device on the bike do a search on that term to find about 50 different ways guys have removed it!

Ha, a mother is correct. I've got most shit identified and hanging loose. I'm working backwards and cutting all sorts out the way. Blimey what a myther :laugh:

Once you have an electrical system that far apart it's time to consider whether to keep "fixing" or if you are better to start fresh.
Hint: start fresh probably refers to no ale on board also.....

Thanks to the links provided I'm nearly there now :) I'm gonna get it how I think it should be and hopefully if everything's ok I might just make a new loom up. All the wires to the clocks have more or less gone as I'm just having a mini speedo. Once all the shits removed there isn't that much left, probably hiding more than actually using tbh.

Thanks for the help chaps.

Right lads, next think to go is the old reg and rec boxes. I've read some of the fixes and options, but they all seem to be over the pond. To replace the 2 with 1 what would I look for.
I can get me battery sorted then and then start to think about a lecky tray :)

Right lads, next think to go is the old reg and rec boxes. I've read some of the fixes and options, but they all seem to be over the pond. To replace the 2 with 1 what would I look for.
I can get me battery sorted then and then start to think about a lecky tray :)

I recommend you use separate rectifier and regulator. A nos VR-115 regulator will do an excellent job for you. Have a read through this link:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21485

Some crackin jobs on there. I would like to do away with one though as I'm going all hipster? and need to make some room :)

Just thought I'd say I've been buggering about on my bike all day and asking questions on here, and getting some good info. I've learned loads about my bike and enjoyed it. Everything I've looked at and learned from seems to continually come from the same 3-4 lads if its electrical. On behalf of everyone who can't be arsed I'll say it. Cheers :thumbsup:

I agree with RG on the reg and rec, Using separate units may take a bit more space but it can save a lot of cash.
Manchester and the words you use indicate your in England. So finding some of the things we stateside find easily may take a bit more for you.
The rectifier can be found on Ebay cheap. Around $5 Search for three phase rectifier. 1000 volt, 25 amp is plenty.
Search for the VR-115 regulator. Should find them about $30. A new combo reg/rec can be found, but cost $100 or more.
Leo

Yep, England. A combo reg/rec is £60 ish, I do have an Aprilia one though ?. You lads can probably buy 4 bikes to our one, crazy money over here.

The Aprilia one may work. What you need to figure out is how the Aprilia alternator works, is it a PMA or field excited alternator? If a PMA then it not work on the XS650, the XS650 uses a field excited alternator.
A PMA uses a flywheel with permanent magnets that excite the stator. The XS650 uses an electromagnet in the rotor to excite the stator.
the reg/rec from one can't be used on the other.
Leo

Blimey, its way to exciting for me. I'll either stick with what I've got or get the right one.

Taa.

Back