Removing stock gauge cluster??

miller0613

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently have 2 running bikes and that is 1 too many so I have decided to bob out one of them ( always tinkering) I was just wondering from those of you who have done this is there any wires that I need to jump to make sure the bike still runs? Also is it necessary to but the tach block off or is there an easier cheaper way? thanks

On Rocket Dog I took off the speedo (well, it was Thong Thursday) and maintained the tach with its normal lights (Neutral and High Beam). I don't recall anything on the cluster you'd need to rewire, except relocating the ignition switch. If you remove one or both cables (tach or speedometer) you need to close off the drive port on the axle hub and engine.

I run these aftermarket gauges and relocated the ignition switch. If you have questions just ask.

Attachments

• DSC_0113.jpg
    DSC_0113.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 498
Those are the mini gauges from Mikes. I mounted mine to the same place as the stock cluster but mine are further apart then Petes. They either come with or you can buy clamps that can go anywhere on the bar.

No stock bracket at all. I used the brackets that came with the gauges. Ita slick setup. Now I did some wiring such that I am using the lights in the tach for everything. Our engines don't have an oil light so I use that light for the left turn signal and the turn signal light for the right turn signal. The neutral light works as well.

Hey i have a general question. I got some mini gauges as well from mike's, but i got the ones without the indicator light there 2.5inch. Where could i re locate the indicator light cluster? or what are some options with this idea? could i get individual light and put them somewhere else? i dont have the ability to make/fabricate anything crazy.. any ideas are welcome. Thank you!

Back