Removing the head. . ?

alfredo

1978 xs650 Special
Reaction score
I took off all of the top bolts in the order the Clymer told me to. The previous owner had installed an electronic ignition kit so I didn't need to take out all of that stuff. How do I get the head off?

It won't budge and I don't want to pry it off. What should I check/remove/try?

Here is what it looks like so far:

P1030372.jpg

P1030373.jpg

P1030374.jpg

You have the 8 large bolts.
You still have 4 smaller bolts, 2 just forward and 2 just reward of the top motormount crossbolt holes.
There are 2 bolts under the spark plugs, one each side.
There is one small one in between the carbs.
You also need to remove the valve adjuster covers and the housings off both ends of the cam.
Once you get all the bolts an covers off you can lift off the rocker box, the upper half of the head.
Now you can either cut the cam chain or pull off the bearings and slip the cam out from under the chain.
Now that you have the cam out of the way, Tie a string around the chain so you can pull it back up when you drop it.
Lift off the head.

Al,
I see 5 bolts you did not remove. There are the 4, 8mm bolts ( they have a 12mm head on them) . Opp's, 7 bolts, two where the spark plugs go, & 1 more under the vent for the engine.(between the carbs) DO NOT use anything other than a rubber hammer to try to loosen the head from the cylinders. If, and only if, the head is stuck really bad, after you are sure all the bolts are out, you can get about 2-3 feet of clothesline rope, feed it into a cylinder thru the spark plug hole & turn the engine over either with your hand or a wrench. If you use the wrench on the alternator rotor, be very carefull, as you can break off that stub that holds the rotor on. If that breaks, it's now time for a crankshaft.:yikes::wtf:

Back