Replace head gasket after 0 mile teardown?

bumjug

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Well, first of all, let me begin this thread by saying I AM AN IDIOT.

I did a full top end job on my '80, and got everything back together and torqued down. While trying to set ign timing by finding exact TDC (using a diy piston stop and degree wheel) I dropped a bolt down the spark plug hole.

Let me repeat - I AM AN IDIOT.

Anyway, my question is do I need to use new head and base gaskets when I teardown and rebuild? The ones in there obviously have zero miles on them, but have been torqued.

Can I re-use the yamabond thats already in there?

i been trying. Put it down after several hours. I dont think the maagnet will cut it, unless you got a special technique i dont know about...

Just flip the motor over and shake it a few times it'll fall out. Eventually. LOL

Just pull the head off. It'll probably be quicker.

One last shot, a tiny magnet from a box or eyeglass case catch, super glued or taped to the fine stainless steel "wire" from a windshield wiper may get it out. remove carb and exhaust, shine a light in through the open valve, remove both plugs, put a wrench on the rotor nut. If you reuse gaskets remove all traces of the Yamabond with solvent, apply new.

Damn I was really hoping to keep the yamabond! naw jk that part was a joke,

but yeah time to order some new gaskets i suppose. will try wire trick (thanks!) but I have turned it over a few times and do want to double check against any damage to piston or valve from interference. I guess if the wire trick works I can compression test and leak down test and call it a day?

Throwing out a hail Mary here but how about cobbling something up with a vacuum and some tubing small enough to fit in the spark plug hole?

With zero miles on it so long as you haven't put yamabond on the gasket I would use them again, there would be no need to touch the base gasket as the bolt is in the cylinder, there has been no heat there to effect the gasket,

I always put the spark plugs in before I do any work around them,

Copper ground wire (like four gauge) would allow some flex bending if it was on the far side. With one of the rare earth magnets(these suckers are strong) epoxied to the end.
Those magnets also fit the end of a discarded push rod well and make a handy fetcher for carb bowl bolts/screws that fall down on the backside of the motor when removing while on the bike. Course a rag over the top pf the motor covering those holes fixes that problem.

Well, first of all, let me begin this thread by saying I AM AN IDIOT.

I did a full top end job on my '80, and got everything back together and torqued down. While trying to set ign timing by finding exact TDC (using a diy piston stop and degree wheel) I dropped a bolt down the spark plug hole.

Let me repeat - I AM AN IDIOT.

Anyway, my question is do I need to use new head and base gaskets when I teardown and rebuild? The ones in there obviously have zero miles on them, but have been torqued.

Can I re-use the yamabond thats already in there?

Admitting is the first step to healing.

Hi jug,
how about getting six burly buddies to help you hold the bike upside down and shake the bolt out?
Or perhaps four burly buddies and a shop crane?

If you need a proper piston stop I have one you can borrow. I'm in San Francisco. Let me know.

20130520-180633.jpg

Well. I wish I could take you up on that coast. Just loaded everything up and am moving back to the dirty south...
Driving a Cummins 4bt bread truck towing a suzuki samurai. Got 2 xs engines in the samurai, one rolling frame in the step van, about to pick up two more xs650s... Can't leave California without loading up on vehicles...

BumJug, the bolt went in that hole so it will come out. Don't give up!!!

Small magnet on a handle should do the trick.

Attachments

• magnet.jpg
    magnet.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 196
Back