REPLACEMENT HUBS

Post up on here im sure you can find some. If not I know mikes xs has some but they're pricey

Agree Travis, super frustrating. I've hit up about every salvage yard around TO in my hunt for even a used spoke rear, nada. eBay spokers are garbage for gold....but after scannin for 2 months a polished hub magically appeared, I swept that up fast along with a NOS Yam rim. Takes a wack load of patience and digging. Reading the stories on here of special bit setups to drill out Mike's rims to work.....no thanks....not at that price.

Cognito moto makes a rear hub to build a spoked wheel and mikes xs makes a front one.Cognito hub is just short of 500 bones and mikes hub is short of 400 bones.

I had Central Wheel in the UK build a rear wheel on a Talon MX hub. With an Akront alloy rim, SS spokes, the hub and the labor it was maybe 400 pounds total. I am pretty sure three are multiple dirt bikes that have hubs that can be used on an XS, with some custom spacers for axle, disc and caliper. It is just a matter of taking some measurements, draw a sketch and start searching. For front hubs, l'm pretty sure RD350, RD400, SR500, XV535 are a direct fit. A lot of Yamaha bikes use the same disc bolt circle as the XS. And a lot of Ducati s as well.

What about stock takeoff rims from harleys.
Anybody ever try that approach.
Just a thought. i dont have my bike near me to make measurements so thats why the random questions.

Plenty of people have adapted a Harley rim to xs forks, but I haven't seen anyone run front brakes in that scenario. If you want front brakes you might be better off running a Harley front end on your xs, seen plenty of people make that work.

I used a yz 125 rear hub on my champion frame. Worked out ok but I forgot how small the rear sprocket is. The smallest sprocket it will take is geared down quite a bit.

Yes the sprocket is the big gotcha when playing mix and match in the rear. The XS650 (all years) uses a very small sprocket of from 33 or 34 teeth, "most" rear hubs will not accept a sprocket that small, they use a large bolt circle that is nearly as big as our sprocket OD. XS spoke wheels are not "that" hard to find. Any early motorcycle restorer would laugh at our "easy" XS650 parts availability. I rode an XS650 that had a 36 tooth sprocket on a 17' rear wheel, it was a hoot but but could not be run on the highway without over revving the motor.

Back