Replacing 16" rear rim w/18"

Muneio

XS650 Argonaut
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question but the earlier XS650's had 18" rear wheels right? Is there any reason I can't swap an earlier model 18" rim for the 16" that's on my 81 special? Are the 18" hard to find used?

Thanks Bill

Yep just looks really. The 16" just looks wrong to me for what I want to do. IMHO I think the smaller wheel is more appropriate for the chopper bobber look but I'm going more cafe.

The 18 inch uses a skinnier tire. It matches the profile of the front tire closer. This makes the bike a bit more responcive to steering inputs.
I think all years of rear wheels are a direct swap as long as the brakes are the same. Drum to drum, disc to disc.
The front wheels with dics are a straight up swap from 74 on up, just use the rotor that matches the caliper. one piston or two piston. the earlier disc use a floating rotor mount. Before that drum brake.

The 18 inch uses a skinnier tire. It matches the profile of the front tire closer. This makes the bike a bit more responcive to steering inputs.
I think all years of rear wheels are a direct swap as long as the brakes are the same. Drum to drum, disc to disc.
The front wheels with dics are a straight up swap from 74 on up, just use the rotor that matches the caliper. one piston or two piston. the earlier disc use a floating rotor mount. Before that drum brake.

Thanks for the response XSLeo I was just looking at tire size differences. Am I right in that the 16" stock rim can go up to a 130/90 and the 18" up to a 120/90?

don't know if it's true (never checked it), i've heard you need to swap the swing arm to, because the 18" drum is wider or smaller.
could be i'm mistaking the drum to disc swap.

I have a 140 width 16 inch tire on the rear of my 75. It's very tight.
On the 18 inch wheel a 120 tire will fit.
Some tires that are 130, 120, whatever wide can vary from different manufactures.
Some are a bit wider for a given size, some narrower.
When I got my bike it had an 18 inch wheel with a 120 wide Dunlop tire on the back, I don't recall the model of tire. When I went to get it replaced with a Kenda, a 120 was to wide, I had to use a 110.
When you get new tires, if you can compare the new to old for width wouldn't hurt any thing.
The people on here can give you more insight into what fits. I have only changed the tires once on both ends of the bike with the stock wheels, and just once with my 16 rear wheel.

That would depend on the tire used, even so that does not equate to "no reason at all" :mad:

Actually, it really wouldn't depend on the tire size. The rolling distance, and hence overall height, diameter, and radius tend to be almost the same, regardless of tire size. If that were not the case, why bother asking whether you can exchange the two? If the overall radius of the tire/rim combined were not close to the same, it would never fit on the stock swingarm. So ultimately, while "no reason at all" may not be accurate, as there are responsiveness and appearance left to consider, also no reason to get worked up by inxs' post. About that specific detail, he is correct.

Tire sizes can definitely vary quite a bit, but that variance is seen far more in width than height. I have a 140/90 Shinko Tourmaster on my 16" rim. My swingarm has a 4" stretch though. I read about someone using a 150 on a stock swingarm, but it was one specific make and model tire and it was a very close fit. It was also an older model tire that is out of production, and those tended to be leaner, with a higher profile than what you buy today.

Hey Teebs sorry if my post came across that way. I wasn't all worked up didn't even have my panties in a bunch maybe a slightly uncomfortable crease but that's about it :D INXS has given me tons of great info on here and I appreciate him sharing his knowledge! And to answer your question "why bother asking" have you ever had one of those experiences where you look at something and think you've got it all figured out, like why yes of course that 18" wheel will work in place of the 16" after all there almost the same rolling distance, so you go and buy the 18" inch wheel and DUH! you forgot about XY or Z and it wont work so now your screwed because you've layed out your cash for a wheel that doesn't fit because of something you hadn't thought of. This may be a bad example because the wheel does work but hopefully you get the idea . Anyway I find it much easier to just ask first then lay out my cash. Of course there's still the chance I'll get screwed :yikes:
Have a good one.
Cheers Bill

Nice to see you not take me that seriously, because it is rarely meant to be taken that way. When I posted my original question, I was wondering if you were converting for looks or because you wanted more responsiveness. I hear ya. Questions are always good, brother.

Back