Replacing 35mm fork tubes

willyt

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi guys
Wondering if anybody knows if the fork tubes are the same between the early style and late style 35mm forks?

I am replacing the tubes on an early style 35mm set that I got from a wrecker to fit to my xs1.

Also does anybody know the correct part number and where the best place to find replacements is? Seen mikes have them and seen on eBay. Any advice aprechiated!

sorry if this has been answered before I have had a hunt for the answer to the first question and cannot seem to find a thread with what I need.

Thanks a lot team

Thanks so are the 77 tubes the ones with the hex plug style end cap and the 78 have the nut cap on the top? Does anybody sell the 77 tubes still?

77 has a hex, 78 on have an adjustable spring stop. I doubt you will find 77 tubes new.

The length of the frame neck changed about 1975 it got about 12mm longer. The triples got wider in 72 if you are working on an XS1 those later forks will present lots of problems.

In the parts fiche from a Yamaha dealer the tubes are one year only
This Yamaha 1G3-23124-50-00 UNAVAILABLE IN PRICE BOOK is used on these models and components:

1977 XS650D FRONT FORK XS650D

This Yamaha 2F0-23110-00-00 INNER TUBE 1 is used on these models and components:

1978 SR500E FRONT FORK
1978 XS650E FRONT FORK XS650E E006501- F
1978 XS650SE FRONT FORK
1978 XS650SE-11 FRONT FORK
1979 SR500F FRONT FORK
1979 XS650SF FRONT FORK
1979 XS650_2F FRONT FORK
1980 SR500G FRONT FORK
1980 XS650G FRONT FORK
1980 XS650SG FRONT FORK
1981 SR500H FRONT FORK
1981 XS650H FRONT FORK
1981 XS650SH FRONT FORK
1982 XS650SJ FRONT FORK
1983 XS650SK FRONT FORK
Can't tell you if they "might fit" 5twins did a bit of snooping on the diffs somewhere in here.

Thanks for that. Just to clarify the fork tubes will definitely be 77 if they have the hex bit style plug at the top?

As far as the trees go was planning on machining out the stem from the trees I have and welding it into the set for the new forks. Or a friend with a Cnc machine at work might make me up some new ones with enough persuasion.

Have you measured the tubes? 76 down are 34mm.
Yes the bottom weld can be ground away and the stems swapped. I've done it several times. Are you going to a disk front wheel?

I'm pretty sure the later tubes will work in '77 forks. The top caps are really just a cosmetic difference. Either cap fits either tube. The big difference is in the bottom bushing assembly. You can remove it from the '77 tubes, can't on the later ones. My best guess is the later tubes were a cost cutting measure, cheaper and easier to make .....

TubeBottoms.jpg

Thanks guys, I havnt measured them personally yet, still being freighted to me at the moment but I am assured they are the 35mm variety.

Have you measured the tubes? 76 down are 34mm.
Yes the bottom weld can be ground away and the stems swapped. I've done it several times. Are you going to a disk front wheel?
Hi my second hand forks have arrived today and I'd like to get started stripping them down for new tubes and seals. I see you have done this before on the 77 style forks. This gives me hope I haven't wasted my $$. Did you swap them between tubes that already had the internals from another leg or new ones?
So the weld at the bottom of the tube.... is it just a few mm that need to go? any futher info would give me far more confidence in attempting this myself. and if I know myself its possible to stuff it up...I probably will.

Thanks in advance

Ah sorry I think I got confused and was thinking it was the tubes with the weld that needs grinding but I think you're talking about the steering stem?
The triple tres I got off the wrecker seem to be the right dimensions. I have slotted the new forks in and with the top tree on the stem appears to be the right length. So looks like I won't need to modify that.

And yes I'm using a disc mag wheel front and rear when I get around to fitting up the new rear swingarm and wheel I have also acquired.

Last edited:
Damn my wheel is not sitting centred between the forks.
Are there different offsets on different wheels?
It has the speedo drive as a spacer on the left side of the wheel and a washer on the right but the tyre / centre of the wheel is closer to the left hand fork :( and ....
I pulled off my old trees and the stem is too short :( no thread sticking out above the dust seal.
I knew it was too good to be true

There should be no extra washer on the right side, just the spacer/dust shield that fits into the hub.

I just removed the washer and it's still approx 4mm closer to the left fork than the right.

Attachments

• IMG_1738.JPG
    IMG_1738.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1739.JPG
    IMG_1739.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 172
Your fork legs are a little too close together. The leg on the speedo drive side shouldn't be tight to it like your pic shows, there should be a little space there. That's probably your "missing" 4mm .....

FrontAxleGap.jpg

Back