Replacing Cam chain Guide

XS650D

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Im pretty sure I have a bad chain guide, plastic or rubber has come away from the
mount strip. Before I order a new unit and get into it I have a few questions.
If I pull the sump filter can the guide be seen up thru the opening maybe with a light scope.
Do the jugs have to be removed to change out the guide.
If not will the gasket reseal ok if not replaced, is it installed dry.
Am I better off with a new guide from Mikes xs as the ones from Yamaha may have been sitting
for 40 years on a shelf and might delaminate as the glue has gone dry.
Thx for any advise. PsThis motor was apparently apart before I purchased it 5 years ago for
new rings ect,cant locate the old owner but im pretty sure he said they changed the cam chain and or
guide ect but cant confirm unfortunately.Guess it was just a matter of time before I had to
break into the motor!

Im pretty sure I have a bad chain guide, plastic or rubber has come away from the
mount strip. Before I order a new unit and get into it I have a few questions.

If I pull the sump filter can the guide be seen up thru the opening maybe with a light scope. Not very well
Do the jugs have to be removed to change out the guide.YES
If not will the gasket reseal ok if not replaced, is it installed dry.
Am I better off with a new guide from Mikes xs as the ones from Yamaha may have been sitting
for 40 years on a shelf and might delaminate as the glue has gone dry. There are few if any NOS guides.
I think the mikes is a reasonable replacement but see petes recent guide thread for other opinions.

Thx Gary, when u state not very wells there enough space to see if the plastic strip has
come away or dropped down to the bottom front of motor.Using a coat hanger to feel if its totally loose
or maybe a lighted scope feed up into the area

DSCN9813.JPG DSCN9812.JPG
You just can't see anything.........

Hi XS650D:

As gggGary suggested, I would check out my thread entitled “Lucille pulls another one on me” - I am doing a big expose on timing chain guides.

In fact, I’m going to post some pertinent information in the next 10 minutes.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
Back