Replacing left case - Full Rebuild

XSWestgate

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All, i've got a motor that leaks/burns oil because it's been sitting for so long it needs at LEAST a top end rebuild (assumed valve seal and head gasket leaks, probably more). On top of that, the case has been cracked from a thrown chain (PO's fault, I swear) it's beed patched and doesn't leak much so it's not critical. However, if i'm going to be tearing into the motor, I should probably replace the case but wanted to get feedback on; first, will that work to swap out the case (I found a donor same year/model) and, second, how far do I have to tear it down to do that? Any magic tricks to make it easy?

Aside: at this point i'm reconsidering keeping this bike. if I sell/part out now, I could recoup most of my costs. If i move forward, my concern is I won't be able to recoup these costs. how much can a rebuild like this cost just for the seals and tools required?

Thanks for all your input.

You're looking at a few hundred dollars for the topend rebuild, a couple hundred more if you need to bore it. For the engine cases, they are a matched pair so should be replaced as such. The bearing holes through the sides along the seam are line bored with the 2 matching halves clamped together. Mix unmatched halves together and those half bearing bores on each case may not match up.

Thanks for the info, it seemed pretty accurate for cost. i've finished the rebuild by putting all the internals from my motor into the new bottom end I bought off of Ronnie_d on this site!

Back