Rescued 79' XS650 + New to the forum

Janicki

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So my mom got this 79 xs650 back in 1993 from my uncle who bought it new. When my mom got this bike I scoffed and didn't think anything of it... I was a kid... What did I know? Well I was rummaging through her garage the other day and saw this sitting in the corner begging to be let out. It didn't take long to get it fired up. Sounds great, but she still spits and pops quite a bit. I'm sure I'll need to clean the carbs and give the whole bike a once over. I was hoping I could get some guidance on where to start and where to shop for the parts. I appreciate any help getting this back on the road!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 143
So my mom got this 79 xs650 back in 1993 from my uncle who bought it new. - - - I appreciate any help getting this back on the road!

Hi Janicki and welcome!
Like you say, clean the carbs.
And change the oil and the brake fluid too.
And unless your mom swapped out the tires within the last 5 years, buy new ones.
Apart from that, go ride the thing, it's perfect.
Me, I'd ditch the rototiller handlebars in favor of something lower and straighter and switch the fabric reenforced brake lines to stainless steel braid reenforced ones.

If that's a Special II you have captured a rare bird. In 79 there were 3 models. The 79 Special II has aluminum spoked wheels different to any other. Spitting around might be the advance unit needing to be serviced. Welcome to the fold. I have one as well that has never been out of our family. We love pics.

Wow, that one is decked out. Even has front mudflap. Only thing missing is the sissybar backpad.

We sold a few twin saddle seats like that in the '70s. Super expensive...

Not only would I swap the bars I would swap the seat, never liked those king/queen seats.
I have one of those adjustable back rests. You can slide it up so you can use it solo or slide it back for the little lady.
I don't like the cruise control thingy. Takes up too much of the hand grip.
Nice looking bike. With the family connection I'd keep it pretty much the way it is.
Leo

Parts suppliers. MikesXS, 650 Central and OEM.
Things I would check first, head torque on the 8 large nuts especially the 4 outside ones with the rubber/steel washers, the torque on the front sprocket and torque on the rear sprocket bolts regardless of the lock tabs.
You can run.whatever bars and seat you want far as l'm concerned.
Welcome to the site.

Back