Resurrecting My '79 XS650F

I'm ready to start finagling the carbs off of it and seeing if I can disassemble them carefully enough to re-use the gaskets, as suggested here. I think I've run into a snag -- a garage-related one. We've lived in this house for five years now, and the garage is piled up with everything that hasn't been stored anywhere else. My tools are still in boxes on the floor, for instance. But, the garage came with an old buffet-style cabinet as a "workbench," but it's covered about16" high with assorted...um....crap.

I literally don't have a place to lay out bike parts and have them stay put.

So I need to build some shelves over the "workbench" and move the crap to them. I figured I can do this with a sheet of plywood and some time with a Skilsaw and a hammer.

Except one of my work-stands broke, and I need to fix THAT...
...so I can cut plywood and make shelves...
............so I can install shelves...
....................so I can clean off my "workbench"...
..............................so I can disassemble my carbs.

I think this thread's about to turn into a carpentry/woodworking thread.

:p
Bike paused for crap removal seems like a great idea to me.

. . . I think I've run into a snag -- a garage-related one. We've lived in this house for five years now, and the garage is piled up with everything that hasn't been stored anywhere else. My tools are still in boxes on the floor, for instance. But, the garage came with an old buffet-style cabinet as a "workbench," but it's covered about16" high with assorted...um....crap.
Yup, yer gonna have to sort that one out. The garage is for bikes. Well, bikes, bike tools, bike stuff and space to work on the bikes. Everybody's got to understand that. Everything else is moved someplace else or chucked out. If there's stuff sitting in boxes since you moved in five years ago, do you need it?

Might have to build a shed to put the stuff that can't be flung. A shed is always useful - we now have seven sheds, including the garage.

Last edited:
PXL_20230923_184939675.jpg

Okay, step one done. I made a new top out of a leftover piece of OSB for the old Harbor Freight workstand... the reason why is sitting on it. The old top was made from compressed cardboard, I think. Now between that and the other stand in the pic, I can hold up a sheet of plywood and make shelves.

I was looking through our old photo chest for something else and found these, from 2000 or early 2001. (Forgive the old-guy cliché of taking-a-pic-of-a-pic.) Man I used to keep it shiny.

I'm calling them Incentive to Finish The Bike. :) Or maybe just Incentive to Wash The Bike. 😁

PXL_20230926_010804215~2.jpg

PXL_20230926_010818475~2.jpg

Actually, I remember this day. The neighbor and I had gone for a ride. He had a new-ish Kawasaki Zephyr 750 - a 4-cyl UJM, basically. We traded bikes for a bit, of course, and his was way smoother-running. He told me he had trouble keeping up with me on his Zephyr when we dragged on a back road.

Last edited:
Baby steps, right? Today's a weirdly sunny, 80 degree day in Michigan. So I taped off the carb inlets, put the sidecovers and seat on and wheeled it out into the driveway for a wash.

Side note, the tires I bought in '94 held air when I pumped them up. I mean, the sidewalls are dry-rotted and cracked all to heck, and they're going to get replaced, but that makes it easier to roll the bike around.

Anyway, bike pr0n 😆:
PXL_20231001_210832497.jpg

PXL_20231001_210926118.jpg

Also, this is my first good, up-close inspection now that the dirt's off it, and I think the cosmetic part of this project is going to be pretty straightforward, and I don't think I'll have to really replace any metal parts because of looks. The aluminum is all fine, not corroded, just in desperate need of degreasing and polish. The frame's all unblemished, no problems there. The tank/sidecovers are good and shiny, no need to repaint or anything. The most work will be the chrome and steel, as it all has various amounts of surface rust spotting, but I don't think anything's rusted through, or even close to it. Time spent with a wire wheel, Simoniz and maybe a vinegar bath for the worst of it should take care of it.

'Nother side note, vinegar baths are GREAT for removing surface rust. Fixing up old bicycles is/was another hobby of mine, and putting steel parts in a tub of plain 'ol white vinegar for 3 or 4 days has been my go-to. The rust gets eaten away but the good metal doesn't. And it smells like vinegar but it's non-toxic, and not a problem to have sitting around in the garage, in case it gets spilled or a cat gets out there. Fasteners and hardware respond especially well.

All of that is to say that I'd rather spend time disassembling, de-rusting and polishing than just buy replacement parts. Basically everything on the bike came from the factory in '79, minus repairs and maintenance items, and I'd like to keep it that way. I personally LOVE survivor vehicles and originality, and I prefer patina.

PXL_20231001_211515255.jpg

Finally, there's the "before" picture of my "workbench." (so many air-quotes) You all see what I'm working with here. That old cabinet came with the house, and it has some lumber attached to the top to make it a decent work surface, I guess. When we moved in, we had about a million dollars of sudden expenses that month in addition to our moving expenses, so the awesome workbench I was going to build didn't happen but I had a couple of outlets run to the wall so I can run lights and power tools, and of course you can see the beverage fridge, which is the MOST important part.😝 So it's not a totally bad place to work, although it's unheated and Michigan gets kinda Michigan-y in the winter.

Anyway, that wall is begging for some shelves to be attached to it, so I can move all that stuff off the surface, and mount the bench grinder/wire wheel I got LAST Christmas, and start doing some BIKE WORK!

If you don't have any, get yourself some anti-seize compound and apply it to every nut and bolt you remove on the bike. I prefer the copper-based stuff because it shows up better on the threads. My anti-seize of choice is C-5A .....

C5-A.jpg

I buy the 1 pound can and transfer it to smaller containers for use. Basically, you "paint" a coating on the threads, so I make up little application brushes as well from flux brushes. The stuff is like roofing tar, seemingly jumping out of the container by itself and getting all over everything, lol .....

C5-ABrush.jpg

C5-ABrush-3.jpg

If you don't have any, get yourself some anti-seize compound and apply it to every nut and bolt you remove on the bike. I prefer the copper-based stuff because it shows up better on the threads. My anti-seize of choice is C-5A .....

View attachment 252425

I buy the 1 pound can and transfer it to smaller containers for use. Basically, you "paint" a coating on the threads, so I make up little application brushes as well from flux brushes. The stuff is like roofing tar, seemingly jumping out of the container by itself and getting all over everything, lol .....

View attachment 252426

View attachment 252427

1696206135298.png

Back