Right crankcase screws - having trouble finding them anywhere

Mjohnm

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I had to drill through some of the right crankcase screws (particularly the lower ones) and now I’m having trouble finding any replacements from anywhere reliable (and reasonably priced) in Canada. Most of them pop up on EBay pretty ridiculously priced because of shipping and duties if it’s coming from America. I just ordered from Alloy Boltz in America and waited a month and the package just got denied at customs for whatever reason and sent back. Does anyone have any leads on any I can get? Preferably in Canada but willing to try American again if the price makes sense. Thanks for any help you can give.

When you refer to right crankcase screws, you mean the clutch casing? There's nothing special about the screws. Measure up what you need and buy them locally or mail order, whichever is most convenient.

yeah your local hardware store has M6 hex head bolts.
Note the yamaha part # decodes the bolt size xxxxx-06040-xx
is an m6 bolt 40mm long
1705436508011.png

Oh wow. I took the screws into a couple hardware stores here and they said I’d just have to order them in from Yamaha because they’re special heat treated screws. I guess I’ll bring them back in and take another shot. Cheers for that. And yes it’s the clutch casing, enclosing the kickstart and clutch basket etc. They’re the same screws as the other side from what I’ve read as well.

Nothing hardened about them, they are screwing into soft aluminum.
I usually use stainless and a bit of oil when installing, note the copper washers used. There's a minor kerfluffle about washers. I use them on all the lower bolts and the oil filter cover bolts. Other's opinions differ but it's not a big deal either way if your flange cleaning, gasket, gasket seal (cough Hylomar blue) technique is up to snuff.

Last edited:
So the main ones I wanted to replace were the ones that were 3cm in length. Closest match they have is something 5 mm longer. Will that be an issue?

Obviously they don't know what they are talking about, you don't put hardened screws into aluminium, that is ridiculous. I wouldn't bother with philips or JIS screws, with JIS screws you need a JIS screwdriver, with philips you'll probably just wreck the heads anyway, so,,why not use allen heads? Allen heads are available black, coated or stainless. Depending on where you get them from, probably same price or cheaper than philips or JIS, and you'd have to be absolute dolt to wreck an allan head.

Lmk if you need help getting these. If you’re stuck I probably have what you need. PM me if you need help.
Cheers. I ended up getting the couple that were 5mm longer and I’ll hopefully be able to give them a try in the next few days once my garage warms up a little. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks a lot!

So the main ones I wanted to replace were the ones that were 3cm in length. Closest match they have is something 5 mm longer. Will that be an issue?
Check that the head seats before they bind if so you're good.
If not, run on a nut then shorten em. If you have time, um winter in canada, I buy alot of this kind of stuff from China, :shrug:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802749538571.html

Here's a labeled drawing for you. I don't see any 30mm screws listed. How are you measuring them? Are you measuring the head too in that length? That's not right, you measure the screw length from under the head, measuring the shaft and threaded portion only. Note that the early bikes used screws that were a little shorter in some spots .....

Right Side Cover.jpg

Also of note - there are 4 copper sealing washers and they go on the 4 lowest screws, the ones that sit under the oil level.

Here's a labeled drawing for you. I don't see any 30mm screws listed. How are you measuring them? Are you measuring the head too in that length? That's not right, you measure the screw length from under the head, measuring the shaft and threaded portion only. Note that the early bikes used screws that were a little shorter in some spots .....

View attachment 259863

Also of note - there are 4 copper sealing washers and they go on the 4 lowest screws, the ones that sit under the oil level.
Ah thank you for this. And yes the guy measuring the screws measured the heads as well, so it turns out they’re the 25 mm screws (30mm minus the 5mm of the heads) that I need. The replacement screws I got are actually 30mm.

Also noticed there was only one copper washer on one of the bottom screws so I’ll replace those as wells.

Nothing hardened about them, they are screwing into soft aluminum.
I usually use stainless and a bit of oil when installing, note the copper washers used. There's a minor kerfluffle about washers. I use them on all the lower bolts and the oil filter cover bolts. Other's opinions differ but it's not a big deal either way if your flange cleaning, gasket, gasket seal (cough Hylomar blue) technique is up to no

Jeez, you would think someone who works at a hardware store would know how to correctly measure screw and bolt lengths. Hard to get good help nowadays, lol.
One guy suggested putting them on the board stretcher.
Jeez, you would think someone who works at a hardware store would know how to correctly measure screw and bolt lengths. Hard to get good help nowadays, lol.

One guy suggested putting them on the board stretcher.

Thanks so much for everyone’s info. Had a bit of a struggle fitting the case cover back on but got it back on (thanks to more forum peoples help that I dug around for). So far so good with the two lower screws that were 5mm longer. Another rookie question before I seal everything up that I keep finding mixed answers for - do I need to apply any adhesive to the new gasket I’m putting in? Thanks again!

Edit - also forgot to mention that two of the four copper washers for the bottom screws were gone but the previous owner had it running for a while without them so I haven’t replaced them yet.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back