Right crankcase screws - having trouble finding them anywhere

Many times, two of the copper washers from those lowest 4 screws get moved to the oil filter cover screws. I don't know why people do this because if you look at that drawing I posted, you can see that Yamaha doesn't call for them there. I've never used them there on either of my 650s and have never had a leak. I can't say if those lower screws will leak without the copper washers because I've always used them there.

For the gasket, I just coat it with motor oil and let it sit for a few minutes so it soaks it up. This "puffs" the gasket up a little which I think aids in sealing, and also makes it cling to the case which helps with the install. I've found a new gasket will often seep a little at first until you've put it through several heat cycles and re-torqued the screws to compensate for the new gasket's compression.

I can't say if those lower screws will leak without the copper washers because I've always used them there.
I've never used 'em on my bike and it's never leaked. I actually don't know why they're called for there. They're blind holes in the case... there's not really any way for the oil to get to the the screws... :umm:

RE: gaskets. As a rule of thumb, there's gonna be a part that stays with the bike... and a gasketed part that can be removed and set on the bench. If you're gonna use sealer, put it on the side you set on the bench... the side that's easy to work on and clean all the stuck gasket material off of.
Makes life much easier.

Back