Right side cover

awafan

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am working on getting the right side cover off of my '72 and its not happening. I am getting the service manual but in the mean time I am looking for tips on getting a stubborn cover off. Got the oil filter out. Am I missing something? I don't want to mess up without the proper knowledge of removal of the cover.

Hi, firstly, make sure and double sure all the bolts are out :)
There are dowels on these cases. Those combined with PO's sealant and old gaskets can result in one stubborn case. In the past I have used gentle heat (boiling water as opposed to a flame) to release it. On some Triumphs i have found the long slim craft knife blades are useful in teasing them apart. They key is take your time and dont force it. Both the engine case and cover are aluminium and dont respond well to being bashed :)

Thanks Paul. I have 10 bolts out but I will double check. I was wondering about the dowels so thanks for that bit of info. Think I will take the big sledge to it and see if it will budge. (just kidding of course). I will try the slim blade and some gentle persuasion and see what happens!

I have had luck by taking a rubber mallet and very lightly tapping around the whole case. Seems to free up the gasket a little bit.

Back