right side filter cover removal

Royboy

many roads, little time
Reaction score
North Central MN / Gold Canyon AZ (seasonal tramp)
Small new problem here. Changing the oil in the 77D' this morning and am having difficulty removing the filter cover. Bolts are out obviously but cover is stuck. I don't want to pry on it as that leads to scaring. Tried bumping it with a soft hammer to no avail. Suggestions? :confused:

roy

Maybe insert a drill bit or rod that will just fit into each hole. You could then squeeze them together with one hand forming a handle. Hopefully you can wiggle it out without touching the outside surfaces. Just an idea I have used in similar situations.

I assume you're referring to the little round cover on the right side. I stick a #2 Phillips screwdriver in one of the bolt holes, as far in as it will go without catching any of the threaded hole in the main cover, and tap down on the shaft with a hammer. I usually stick with the rear hole as the cover is thicker and the hole through it deeper there.

Thanks guys, using your methods I have been successful! Never had the problem before and couldn't see why I was having trouble this time. When it came free I discovered that the last guy who changed the oil, (that would be me):banghead: created a gasket out of an old binder cover that happened to be thinly plastic coated. Engine heat cooked the plastic and glued her together. Pretty proud of myself right now.

roy

Hey Royboy- The wife and I are both from G.R. Although I'm a Greenway guy myself. Gods country up there. We have some property up there and family. I'm hoping to start building a nice garage up there this summer. Not sure we'll ever give up the winters down here though. Waaayy to easy to take.

the "tool" mark 1A version

oilfiltercoverwrench1.jpg

I now have the Mark 2 version, two 1" long 3/8 rods welded into the handle, no matter how much gooper the PO used a light twist and tap on the handle and the cover comes off. Cleaning the gooper and gasket out of that recess is still a PITA.

tool 001.JPG

tool 001.JPG

Yes I'm over the top but about the 4th time I was removing a stuck on cover I started working on the tool. It sucks to add another gouge to that RH cover. It's bad enough getting the brake lever arc gouge out of it.

Back