Rim Swap

Maddog

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am a new owner of a 78 special. I want to swap the mags for spokes, keeping disc's. Is this possible? Where should I look for rims, hubs etc......

Last edited:
No direct swaps that have been discovered yet.

Omars sells a kit to adapt a front mag or front spoked hub to the rear. Kinda pricey if you ask me.
http://omarsdtr.com/stwheel.html

I've seen 78-79 Suzuki GS1000 spoked wheels fitted to an xs to maintain the rear disc, but don't have a clue how much work was involved. Also, those wheels/hubs are fairly hard to find.
d50f682e.jpg

a0a4cfaa.jpg

You could get about any late model dirtbike hub to work, but the sprocket size is where the trouble lies. XS runs a very small diameter sprocket and most rear hubs run a very large bolt circle diameter (typically almost the same diameter as the stock XS sprocket)

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
the front wheel is easy. All the fronts from 74 up bolt right in. Just use the 79 brake rotor.
The rear is the tricky part. Yamaha never made a disc brake rear spoked wheel. I'v been looking for a Kawasaki rear dics brake spoked wheel. They used them in mid 70's to mid 80's on the KZ, Z1 models.
I was looking for a complete set up, the wheel, axle , spacers, caliper and bracket. Even the swing arm. If the swingarm would fit the rest would be easy.

Thanks for the input. I see that mikes has rims and spokes but it's the hubs that are the problem. Should I look into getting custom hubs cut to fit? Or could I go rear drum, or may be I should just stick with the mags.

Swapping in the drum brake is easier than the other way round.
I put a mag wheel on my 75 to have a rear disc brake. Getting the mounts for the M/C welded in the right place was a PIA.
I like the brake, hate the mag. I am thinking about swapping back.
At least until I come up with a spoked wheel with a disc brake.
Sticking with the mags is the easiest way to go. Putting the drum on the rear will just take swapping a few parts around.
A wheel of course. The brake pivot shaft, the part that goes through the frame and the brake pedal hook to.
The swing arms are a bit different, the strut to keep the brake from spinning with the wheel mounts to the top with a disc, underneath with a drum. I got a disc brake swing arm for like $10 on ebay. Swapped right in.
You need the pull rod that runs from the pivot shaft to the rear brake. It has a spring and adjuster nut and connector that go with it.
The strut that hiooks from the backing plate to the swing arm. With the bolts for each end.
Proper spacers. I think thats about it.
Then in a few hours and you will have the spoked wheel with a drum brake installed and working.
The front is much easier. Pull the mag wheel swap the rotor to the new wheel, put the wheel back in. All the spacers and speedo drive are the same.

Once you get good front brakes the rear doesn't do much anyway. And what are the odds you could overheat a rear on the street unless you live in the mountains. That said I have a guy trying to sell me a GS spoked disk rear wheel with an extra wide rim. Harley 16" spoke disk wheels are common and cheap, not sure how much work and not many cafe guys want a 16" rim still would look pretty trick.

You can always lace an 18 rim to a H-D hub. Most of the H-D 18 inch rims are for a wide tire.
If you wanted the tires to match for size, both 19 inch, use an H-D front wheel Fronts are about the right width.

The bike has been sitting for a while and the rubber is cracked from UV, needs new rubber. Want to keep original tire sizes.

I like the look of the bikes with spokes and was wondering what it takes to change that out, was my other question.

there was a link I posted on the old site to a list of wheels and axle sizes for almost all the jap bikes from the period, I can't find it now. I know a 70's honda xl175 21" wheel will fit nice, because that is what I used on my last xs build.

Irishman. I was just checking those links. I'm not sure they are reliable.
They list the rear axle for a 74 TX650 as being a 20 mm right. And a 25 mm left.
If you use this list, check the parts close before you buy.

Thanks Irishman it's a little confusing though looking at that link, kinda like looking for a needle in a stack of needles. I'll keep trying.

Swapping in the drum brake is easier than the other way round.
I put a mag wheel on my 75 to have a rear disc brake. Getting the mounts for the M/C welded in the right place was a PIA.
I like the brake, hate the mag. I am thinking about swapping back.

I just installed a rear disc on my '75 (with swingarm) only to discover that the front and rear sprocket no longer line up. The rear sprocket sits about 5mm to the left now.

Anyone else have this issue? If what I'm told is correct, the drum wheel I have is an '81 but I don't know what year the disc wheel is.

Any help would be appreciated!

Posted via Mobile

I put in the disc swing arm and everthing lined up great. I think the only difference in the disc and drum swingarms is the brake strut mount, on top for disc brake, on the bottom for a drum brake. I guess if you put the swing arm in upside down it might make the whell not line up.
With a drum brake you have a spacer that looks like a thread spool on the right and a spacer with a collar the fits into and covers the seal on the left.
The chain adjusters are thicker on one side than the other. The thicker goes to the outside. If you have the thicker side to the inside that will cause the wheel to be off center.
The disc mag wheel was used late 78 to 80. In 81 they went to the drum mag. 82 went back to spokes.

i just picked up a pair of old style spoked rims to put on my 79 yam , once i got the damn axle to loosen its grip on the speedo drive , i hope to drop it in , any one know of any other issues , and where would i find some spacers if i need them , will my modern calipers be fine for the old style disk , as they are not round .

Back