RIP 1977 650... now I am screwed huh, or unscrewed?

lawrgj

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So a while back I noticed a small leak, very small, coming from the neutral detent bolt.
got some advise to replace the gasket, pulled the bolt.
when the bolt was out I noticed the source of the leak, a small crack in the threads...
then when i went to clean the oil off...
it broke, no more engine I assume....
IMG_1010_zpseb51db8f.jpg

IMG_1011_zps5bbd7c88.jpg

This is AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
there is less than 2k on this motor!

Go to your local welding shop and see if they have the machines and proper filler metals for welding cast aluminum. You might have to do some research and find out the specific composition of the cast aluminum so they can get proper fillers. Maybe somebody on here has done this??

Posted via Mobile

retired that's what i was thinking...I have three good threads left in the block. I might try to use pins and jb. it is too close to summer for this to happen! and I just finished the restoration ?!? I dont want to go non numbers match at this point. I would have saved so much money just building some tracker/ bobber/ cafe than restoring. damn damn damn

clean it with brake or carb cleaner to get rid of any oil residue, JBweld any put a new cleaned switch in, let it set up good should work fine

Even better than JB weld, stronger and easier to form.
http://www.marinetex.com/marinetexepoxyputty.html
Can be purchased on line from boat supply places like West Marine or Discount Marine.
Get the gray. It's a 5:1 mix that epoxy that has a black surface color when hardened, but sands to a gray that blends in with aluminum pretty well. Try some you will never use JB weld again.

Back