Roadster Style Build

Phase IV

Wheels, tires. brakes, lights, sprockets and chain are on and it a roller. Other than a signal flaher and now stuck clutch plates the next and final phase is paint. I did take it for a run around the block today with a lawn mower fuel tank attached. Not very pretty. It ran and sounds wonderful.

IMG_1808.jpg

Thanks - It will up and on the road in two weeks going away this weekend. Had to pull the kick start interferred with the right peg.

I just through bolted them in place with the appropriate sized fender washer in each. The back mounting tab lines up failry close enough to use the original bolt and washer.

Keyless flush mounted gas cap and paint an we be done.

Some bad news in a very productive and progressive bike build. I painted with a product called Auto Air bought from Eastwoods. Water based, I had my doubts, but Mercedes paints with water borne paints so I thought what the hey and it came in a zillion colors and samll volumes unlike the urethane only in gallons. Well it went on easily, but left some blotches. I let it cure overnight and it looked kind of like leather and not hard and shiny. Tired to rub it out and buff no luck.

Now I have sand it off re-prime and repaint another lost week without riding.

:(

Now the good news - Got some Lexus Stellar Blue Pearl - Awesome with clear coating. I will assemble on Friday and go for a friggin ride finally! After five days I can rub and buff and then install my decals XS650R on the side covers. Not sure if I'll use the Yamaha triple tuning fork logo or just Heritage on the fuel tank. What do you folks think?

It sucks that your first paint didn't turn out, but it sounds like you have it all under control. I've always been partial to the tuning fork logo myself. I can't wait to see the finished project.

Getting closer - 99%

Paint needs a rub and buff have to wait a week for clear coat to cure. New problem can't shift my rear set conversion is a gremlin. Anyway here is my favorite bike number 28 and counting. Big plus it runs like a bear and sounds even better.

IMG00031-20100528-1506.jpg

I's loving it. Shifting issue resolved. Pulling the carbs tomorrow and get them sorted. Only thing I don't like and will change is the seat. I took the cheaper route and had a local guy trim and recover it. looks a bit tacky. I will send it to Sargent pay the $300.00 and get it done right. They did a couple of my builds in the past (BMW K75 and a Guzzi V50) Spectacular work. Here's a photo of each.

Guzzi
IMG_1445.jpg

K75
IMG_1187.jpg

Very nice, Jim! I actually like the looks of the XS750 seat. Sure looks a lot better than the original (I have an '81 Special and really don't like the seat). Was it very difficult fitting it to your Special?

Anyway, your customization is one of the nicest ones I've seen done to a Special.

So I'm guessing the "R" in XS650R stands for "Roadster?"

Thanks,

Mounting the seat was not too difficult the front two pronged bracke I mounted to the pan with 3 well plugs and just fabbed up some simple brackets for the rear. The only issue is when the seat is bolted down there is no easy access under the seat except unbolting it.

The seat cover was suppoled to have the black band at the rear run its full length. The dorky decided without asking me to chanage it.

Yes the "R" is for Roadster, I may drop the XS on the tank decals and just use 650R yet to be installed. I may put a euro style wind screen on later

Finally Done - Everything works, still a little issue with throttle response. Kind of flattens out at 5000 rpm and strugles to rev much beyond that. Got the XS John needles carbs spicka nd span and jetted. I'll sort it out. Now tomorrow for a nice cruise. All in all a very rewarding experience.

Final photos

IMG_1835.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1833.jpg

Last edited:
Back