Rocker Arm Broke

Moto Militant

XS650 Member
Reaction score
image.jpeg
Anyone ever broke a rocker arm before? Could this only happen if it heats up from lack of oil?

Hi Moto,
no, that's a first for me, and probably for most other list members too.
But what I'd expect to see from a lack of oil would be scuffed cams & rocker surfaces, not a broken rocker arm.
My best guess would be a badly made rocker arm that finally failed.
So, how much collateral damage was there?

Rocker arm surface is very badly worn, looks to have been starved of oil at some stage for a length of time.

Hi Moto,
no, that's a first for me, and probably for most other list members too.
But what I'd expect to see from a lack of oil would be scuffed cams & rocker surfaces, not a broken rocker arm.
My best guess would be a badly made rocker arm that finally failed.
So, how much collateral damage was there?
I haven't went into it yet. Just trying to get an idea of what to look for to correct it so it don't happen again.

Something that is easily overlooked is the rev-counter. If it fails 999% of the time someone will say the cable has shit itself, "I'll fix it when i get home". 99% of the time they would be right but there is the chance the oil pump has failed because this drives the rev counter. In your case the rev-counter has been removed.

The PO ran the bike without oil and now you are paying for it. Full tear-down and with any luck a top end rebuild and head work. Thats why he took the grand off when you found low compression, he knew.................Sorry, it shits me when pricks do things like this.

How the hell could the points could be set properly and have the bike run half deficient is beyond me.

Back