Rocker arms ephed.

Benjamoid

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I bought my first xs650 back in september with a blown motor. Got married, then honeymoon, then lots of other stuff and finally get to start working on it again. So I tore the engine apart today 90% sure I had a hole in my left piston...

Well I was right, I also found that 2 of my rocker arms have grooves worn in them on the side that rides on the cam. Anyone ever seen this before, and stupid question but can the valves just be adjusted to compensate for the grooves?

onefeduppiston-vi.jpg

you meen holed like this? dont know a bout your rockers, but, ahem.......

That's amazing, it looks exactly like that. Lol, actually mine is just a small hole right in the center of the piston. I will get pics tomorrow.

buy new rocker arms, or get a head/set from ebay. Sounds like it ran out of oil.

Also, for the price of new pistons/rings/machining, you're getting pretty close to the price of a big bore kit. Just sayin'.

There are some valve covers on eBay without the head, do they need to be done together?

What machining? I just planned on running a gone through the cylinders, new piston and new rings...

If all you want are different rocker arms, then buying the rocker box alone and putting the rocker arms in your rocker box will work.
If you want to buy the rocker box and just put it on your head, it may or may not work. At the factory the put the rocker box on the head and machined the areas where the cam bearings set and the valve adjuster covers are. They then stamped a matching number in both pieces.
If mismatched it can leak or maybe even bind the cam bearings.

That's what I thought. I work for a Acura dealer and after asking a few other techs it looks like I can just adjust the adjust them to be tight.

There are some valve covers on eBay without the head, do they need to be done together?

What machining? I just planned on running a gone through the cylinders, new piston and new rings...

- as xsleo says heads and covers come as a numbered matched pair

04012009415gb9.jpg

- numbers are found on the flat faces between the rocker inspection ports

- the machining sundie is talking about will depend on the piston to cylinder wall clearance and will involve at least honing and maybe reboring

- if this has run hot enough or out of oil long enough to cause this kind of damage to the rockers i wonder what other damage there is?...the worn ones-what were they? both exhaust?

Back