rookie question...

ruination607

XS650 Member
Reaction score
so, my bike will not start.
we bought a new battery, followed directions, and after installing battery... it started right up.
THEN, we started weeding out unused wires in my harness, and after wiring the lights and electric start, stupidly left out the reg/rect. and the bike failed to start after that, and the battery was DEAD.

It still had a kick start lever, and we tried several times to kick it over, had great compression, but absolutely no juice... even tested spark, and had none.

Is my DEAD as hell battery the culprit? Would a battery that dead not produce spark even with the kick start???

Please help!

Yes, you need a fully charged battery. A bench type battery charger is a good thing to own.

When messing with the wiring, use a diagram and follow it. Click on "Tech" at top of page................Electrical..............wiring diagrams. Lots of diagrams, find the one you need.

set

Right on, we basically just replaced the old wires one by one with newer wire, didn't really change anything from how it was when it was running besides...

We took the rectifier and regulator out, rookie mistake in the end.
We wired everything into a fake oil tank and drilled holes for the switches on the under side of the tank.

Like so:
photo.php

Sorry yeah I forgot to answer the question:doh:

but it looks like retiredgentleman beat me too it.

I've heard from a few people now that you need at least 12v to get the thing going, and that the stock coil is notorious for being weak rate from the factory. so even if you do have charge on the battery it's not going to be a really strong fire. I would advise splurging and going for the Pamco system from mikesxs. If your looking for something thats user friendly to install and makes your ignition something worthy of the gods, I would count on the Pamco Electronic Ignition Kit. Got one and it totally rocks. one kick start almost every time :cool:

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-81.html#products

I got to agree with retiredgentleman with the fact that you will need a wiring diagram and that it will be invaluable.
so thats my :twocents:

thanks guys...
we kinda felt it was a battery issue, and i bought a new battery again today. They ran a test on it and said that it was indeed dead. so... i'm hoping that will be a start.

also...
we did have a battery charger on hand... and charged the battery til the charger said it was full multiple times, and it wouldn't start with the electric start OR kick start. The battery would continue to act dead. (would that be caused by removing the reg/rec?) oris that still a possible ground issue? OR do i go deeper and look into the coils and condensor? The bike started 3 weeks ago, before we started messing with the wiring...

roger that...

Attachments

• 221219_1695531954386_1420460480_31444314_771106_o.jpg
    221219_1695531954386_1420460480_31444314_771106_o.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 204872_1695523754181_1420460480_31444286_7818192_o.jpg
    204872_1695523754181_1420460480_31444286_7818192_o.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 96
My bike is a 78, it is still using points ignition. It starts first kick everytime even with only 25% charge on the battery and NO charging system. (rotor failed and PO cut the wires) Obviously the electric start will not work with this low of a charge though.

I have since installed a rz350 PMA, and virago reg/rec. Starts, runs, and charges beautifully. Setting up the points properly was the most significant part of how easily it kicks over.

Good luck

Wow it isn't a cookie cutter :D

Just a non electrical related suggestion . When the time does come spring for real filters . K&N made a tapered oval filter for a (Dobeck) Dyno-Jet kit that had a bit of a velocity stick (short bell mouth actually) molded into it . I don't think it will mess w/ the lines of the bike that bad , I may have several ways of getting a spoke wheel on the rear if you're interested .

~kop

Last edited:
spoke wheel would be gnarly!!! I just ordered breather filters from Dime City Cycles, so I suppose it's too late to take that suggestion.

On another note, whats the best way to examine and assure my points are working correctly. As I said I am a total rookie to this thing, but not completely retarded...yet! lol

Back