Rotor replacment

jaybird51

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Have an 81 sh. Rotor went bad and stopped charging. Ordered a "new" replacement. The pic shows both rotors with the keyway at the six o'clock position. The factory rotor is on the right. Notice the placement of the tci magnet. It is retarded on the replacement rotor[ on left] about 30 degrees. I really don't think this thing is going to start. From what my books are telling me the timing is not adjustable. Am I missing something here or is this another example of chinese junk. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Attachments

• xs 650 rotor 002.jpg
    xs 650 rotor 002.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 142
Whatever happened, it's not right. Like you said, timing will be off 30°, maybe even more.

Hi jaybird,
so where did you get that mis-timed replacement?
Mebbe you could get a good one from them or perhaps a refund?
And are you sure it's the rotor that's dead?
Resistance between pickup rings at least 4 Ohms?
Infinite resistance between either ring and ground?
Attracts steel if it's fed 12Volts?
If yes to all three the rotor is OK and there's a different problem.

Thanks for the response guys. I am sure its the rotor, there is no reading between the slip rings at all which means the winding is open. Slap test failed and I had replaced the brushes, have 12 volts to the brushes. Got the rotor from Mikes , contacted him and cust. service said that this is not the first time this issue has come up. Rotor is supposed to be new so it was not indexed correctly when pressed together. I will have to see what they come up with. I hoping he makes good on a replacement. Thanks again for the help.

Mikes contacted me about the replacement rotor. They checked their inventory and every one they have is this way. Bad from the vendor. So none of them will be no good for the 80 on up. He is taking it back for refund. Thanks again guys.

Back