rotor rewind

stangracr

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have left 4 messages with Gary using the phone number posted on some of the post here. Anyone know of a better phone number to use or should I find someone else?

this is the number Im using 800 798 7282

ed

stangracr,

Well, it is the 4th of July weekend, but if you are that impatient then you should find someone else....good luck.....:D

I wouldn't hesitate to let a local auto electric outfit do it. I don't think it's any more special than winding an auto alternator. I've had that done with cars instead of springing for new.

Well not sure how much patience is needed. I have left 4-5 messages in a 2 week period. No call back. Now I dont know about you but I didnt get off 2 weeks for the 4th. I will find someone else. Thanks for the smart reply though.

ed

stangracr,

I think you missed the point of my remark. You won't find a better rewind shop than Custom Rewind. You can find cheaper and even some vendors who are selling defective "new" rotors, but you won't do better than talking to Gary. If you are frustrated now, you will be even more frustrated when you get some other rotor installed and have to do it all over again in a month or so.

Here is a video of a new rotor that I bought a couple of years ago. It deposited big chunks of the brushes on the slip rings after just a couple of hundred miles, so I put it on my lathe to check the runnout:

I then got a rotor from Gary at Custom Rewind and did the same thing with it:

Most people just check the resistance of the rotor and if it's in the ballpark, they say "OK, that's good" but there is more to a good rotor than just the winding resistance. Runnout is very important because it has to be near perfect for the brushes to maintain constant contact with the slip rings. The "new" rotor that I bought had terrible runout and the brush residue collected in the low spots, eventually creating high resistance and reduced output from the alternator.

you won't do better than talking to Gary.

Reportedly it's impossible to do that....

To the o.p., I wanted to mention that there was a report of a new '80+ rotor where the magnet was too far away from the pickup. I think the rotor sat too far down on the spindle. It wasn't usable.

I wonder what would happen if you forgot about the phone and just sent your rotor to their address? Insured, and with delivery confirmation...

For getting a Rewind - Gary is the BEST... Period.... You own a 30-40 year old bike, if you want new parts on the shelf and an nice pretty counter lady to sell you everything you need right now, then I can point you to the HD dealer down the street... Better bring your checkbook though...

If it is a matter of just getting on the road, I have a few original used rotors here...

I used gary for my rewind. When I placed my order he was away from his shop....he refused to take payment because he didn't want to write my c.c. number down in fear of the number getting lost...here's the real stinger.......he sent me a rotor and stator with out payment cuz he wanted me on the road! I would just keep trying to get a hold of him.

Posted via Mobile

Thanks for all the advice. I really would like to use Gary. Sounds like he does a great job. I do appreciate quality work. I really need to get this bike fixed in the near future though. I guess I will just keep waiting. I just dont feel good when I leave a message with a business and I dont get a call back. By the way I have been pleasant with all my messages. Im gonna give him a couple more days but after that I gotta get something going on this.

ed

I know this is gonna sound unlikely, but I once shorted out a rotor on a CB750 (used the wrong length mount screw - they go right through to the wires). Ended up shorting out my rotor and trashing the windings... so...

I made a little jig and wound my own rotor. Took forever. I also got fiberglass in all my fingers from the fiberglass wrapping around the old rotor wires.

I used the wiring from another rotor, or transformer, I forget what. It doesn't sound like much but it was hours and hours of winding this tiny wire around the rotor using the little jig I'd made.

to make the jig I think I had two bars sticking out horizontally, one with the wire source, the second with the pickup. I had someting stuck in the center of the rotor to make it spin on the dowel (I think it was a tapered wooden bobbin). I had a bead on a long screw in the rotor itself so I could turn it and then as I spun the rotor I moved the wire in a slow cross pattern to keep it loading the rotor evenly.

Nowadays I'd just go out and buy one.

Back