I have a 1983 650 special (TCI)
when looking for a new rotor I found this
http://www.electrosport.com/products/product-detail-407.php
I inquired weather this would work for my bike and this is the response

Hi Dennis,
If you are referring to the ESG650 rotor then yes this will work on your
1983 model.
Best Regards,

I would like some confirmation from those in the know here for sure before I order this
If not then I will send mine out for a core charge and get a rewound one from
http://www.customrewind.com/

Like like it works with both points and TCI.

"The new rotor has the magnet built in for triggering the electronic ignition on the later models. The earlier XS650 models use points ignition and this ESF650 rotor can be used for that as well."

If you get that one , the ESF650 , be sure to let us know your opinion. You have a puller to get the old one removed?

on the bottom, just to the left, you can see the magnet that the TCI uses for the ignition pickup. It will work. The older bikes just don't use that.

I would be cautious of buying a rotor from them.If memory serves me correctly,they are the people that supplied Mike Lalonde(Mike's XS) with a thousand faulty rotors that pretty much ALL failed.As far as i know at this time,they still have not made this right with Mike.I would have an original Yamaha rotor rebuilt by the company in Alabama.I believe that's where they are out of,don't remember the company name either,but hopefully someone here will.I have heard nothing bad about their rebuilding service.

drog, I think the one you dealt with is custom rewind. Haven't ever heard a bad word about their work. Interesting about electrosport being the supplier for those crap rotors.

Gary @ Custom Rewind in Birmingham, Alabama. 205-798-7282.

I ordered a replacement rotor through them... service is excellent, you
can't go wrong with these folks.

Would recommend to anyone no questions asked.

Thanks everyone for oyur input on this
Yes I do have a puller to get it off
Anyone else care to chime in on the electrosprt deal with Mikes?

I bought one from them, works fine. I have a 78 though. I was wondering about the magnet. Woodruff key kept getting sucked to that(was playing with the rotor). I'm simple.:D

I called custom rewind today and will ship my old 1 out on monday
he said he had a few ready to go on the shelf
he did tell me that the ohm reading would not be to spec from the book but has not had 1 returned
said ohms would be between 4.6 and 4.8
a little tough to understand at times but so far so good

Slighty lower ohms = more current flow = stronger magnetic field= higher output. Sounds like a good thing to me.

I ordered a rotor from Electrosport this past spring for my 81h and it works fine. The problem is the company was recently sold and now i have received multiple invoices that say i never paid. I recently called both numbers on the invoice and both are out of servive. I sent email but not response just another invoice.
Electrosport offers a one year warrentee and i'm told Custom rewind offers a three year warrentee.
Wish I went with custom rewind!

Last edited:
Pete, you're getting pretty handy at this computer stuff.
Can you "shave" the surface of a rotor with that set up?

Back