Rough marks in engine case above sump filter

STVR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a 1975 xs650 with about 8000 miles on it. Alright so I took of my sump filter today and discovered a nick in the engine case along with some scraping marks. Now with further inspection these marks look like they could have possibly come from a grinder.A buddy of mine said that it could have come from the factory maybe a worker with a grinder. As I looked in the engine via the sump filter opening I didn't find any pieces or chunks of metal. My biggest fear is that a tooth broke off and got lodged in the crank. I checked my cam chain and sprokets and no marks or broken teeth. At the end of the summer after adjusting my timing (my first time doing it) I took my bike for a spin and 30 minutes later I heard a sort of knock in the engine then my rear wheel locked up and I went down. I got up unscathed and the wheel was working fine bike started up I put it in gear went about 2 blocks and then she died. I dont want to tear the bottom end apart but I might have too. I have a photo attached any comments would be appreciated.

Steve

Attachments

• photoxs.jpg
    photoxs.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Back