Royal Enfield Interceptor 2019

Thank you, Bob! I knew I could not be the only one. Haven't decided whether or not to go for labels on frame and s/arm too.

It really was one of those little jobs which nobody will see. But I'll know.

Now the signage on that one is kinda funny.

I've picked up used bikes that still have the decals on the tank... and elsewhere. They're a bit harder to remove after a good Sun bake... I still remove 'em... every last one.

Raymond, you can add me to the list anticipating reviews from the road. I'm not looking for another bike. If I were though, the RE is at the top of the list.

Moving the bars back and down was better so today removed the risers. Bought four M8 30mm Allen screws, well actually bought five coz that was the offer so got one spare. Easy job, cushion to protect the tank, four long Allen screws out, remove risers, put back together with short ones.

PICT0955.JPGPICT0956.JPG

Interesting visual effect with the shiny tank reflecting the roof timbers?

It's cold and windy today and there's still salt on the roads. But it's dry so went for a short 'test ride' - I like the change. Hands just drop naturally onto the grips. Got the levers angled slightly down coz that's how I like them.

As said, the bike is vary stable but also quick-turning. I mentioned the engine has a bit of mechanical character? Opening the throttle, yup, in fact the engine feels smooth enough but with an uneven lolloping and a rough sound. What kind of crank have Enfield fitted? Google confirms the 650s are fitted with 270° crankshafts. Uhm, that shows how much research I don't do before splashing the cash.

Getting to know you . . .

Last edited:
Man that tank looks good :cool::cool::cool:, did a double take before reading your post.

There was an interactive RE motor program where it could be moved around in 3D, 360 degrees and the engine taken apart. Hell if i know what i done with the bookmark or if i did. Got a couple of stills you might be interested in............by the way, its AI generated:laugh2::laugh2:

Royal-Enfield-648cc-Twin-Engine-Explode-view.jpg
Royal-Enfield-648cc-Twin-Engine-Ghosted-Internals-LHS-view.jpg

:redface:

I see it’s got a balance shaft in front of the crank, ought to be a pretty smooth motor.
Hardly done enough miles to say anything with any certainty. Did one short scoot this morning but this is still a first impression The engine sounds rough but feels smooth. But it's not a bland smooth motor, it's got - I used word lolloping earlier - not exactly vibration but a cadence that comes in as you open up a smidge and the torque starts to build.

Quite intoxicating, my dear Watson.

Last edited:
What about cam chain tension? Is there an automatic tensioner or do you have to manually do it like on our 650s?

What about cam chain tension? Is there an automatic tensioner or do you have to manually do it like on our 650s?

From what I've read, it's automatic.
Yeah, considered buying one several times so I've done a bit of research on it. I still might just pull the trigger if the right deal comes along. :geek:

Last edited:
I didn't mean to suggest I thought there was sommat wrong - the bike feels so new, less than 2000 miles, treating it with kid gloves, I don't even know if it's ever been given full throttle or sensibly run in.

My guess was designed in 'character' and the idea of a 270 crank came to mind. It's been done before, the TDM Yamahas were loved by many for the engine's character and torque.

Jim's probably correct about auto cam-chain tension but I ain't read the manual yet.

I would be interested hearing if these Royal Enfields Moves ---Is the word Shifts -- when revving them.
Rear wheel ride ... donuts on the Asphalt ?
Cant find anything on the internet

Watched the Revilla video. The bloke got the weight wrong - said 570 lb when it's actually 470 lb - then went on a bit about the high weight. But aside from that, one of his main points was about the way things actually worked real good on a budget bike.

Seems RE have a bit of the Skoda problem. Skodas were/are something of a joke in Britain and it's just not fair. Everything from behind the Iron Curtain was always seen as rubbish and that thought habit stuck. The only new car I ever bought was a Skoda and it was very well built, reliable, etc as well as being cheaper than say VW or Renault. People just can't grock that something can be inexpensive but also well made and solid. Must be to do with economic factors - different part of the world, different pay rates, different parts suppliers, different design priorities, different customer expectations?

I will say more later - have been watching Stuart Fillingham videos and he has a lot to say regarding RE Interceptor, the finish and keeping 'em nice.

Uncle Stu feels that because Interceptor 650s are much cheaper than Triumph Bonnevilles people are less likely to spend time cleaning and looking after them. Maybe bought as budget commuters when the Triumph will be somebody's pride and joy. He believes that given the same amount of care and attention the REs keep the finish just as well.

Last edited:
@650Skull interesting discussion of the need to go to 865cc and expensive head work to keep ahead of semis - does that mean articulated lorries? Frankly I doubt that. Expectations vary and some riders will demand a lot more response but it's a bit much to expect the Int to keep up with a Thruxton 1200R. I don't foresee finding lack of power to be an issue riding around the Scottish Borders on a 47 HP 650.

@650Skull interesting discussion of the need to go to 865cc and expensive head work to keep ahead of semis - does that mean articulated lorries? Frankly I doubt that. Expectations vary and some riders will demand a lot more response but it's a bit much to expect the Int to keep up with a Thruxton 1200R. I don't foresee finding lack of power to be an issue riding around the Scottish Borders on a 47 HP 650.
I should imagine significant engine work doubles (or more) the price of a good used RE 650?

I imagine anyone happy with XS650 performance will be happy with the RE too.

Exactly, 47hp for your area is probably everything needed and some. The guy, NJMike, stated, just a cam alone put the bike into a different plane for what he wanted in a bike. And that is the crux, it was what he wanted. I think with the High compression 650 pistons, Cam, exhausts, clutch, maps and tune up was into the 3,000, US i presume, area. But then he was putting out 60hp. An 850 kit is only around 62hp, going off the threads. Does one need it, want it, or cant help having to do something because they can and money be dammed.

Just watched this comparison against a Bonneville.
And from tour type of country............i said type of, no insult intended, comparing the Boarders with Wales:laugh2:

Had to have a chuckle on the Skoda comparison. Same in NZ, they were laughed at and if you bought a Skoda people kinda looked at you as if it was not owning a real car and wouldn't be caught dead parking next to one. My uncle bought one and he did a lot of k's and that car was reliable and the quality was far above common consensus. Changed my mind.

I had no trouble mixing it up on Los Angeles freeways a few months ago. Because it operates so smoothly, I’d say it’s better than the XS650 doing that.

Different people different bikes
I feel the XS 650 is quick properly tuned an revved .. Not so bad at all
At the expense of vibrations maybe
Maybe the Enfield is that also but seems smother because the balance axle Need to test it
But I feel Better have ( little extra power ) not need it -- than need an not have.
In the common situation some other traffic Cars and Trucks and a 2 lane road.Typically what one rides on here --- the extra power adds to the Joy and Safer overtaking. You can go / move in and out on both lanes
You can overtake .and move on . But if the power is on the low side I see the risk getting.
stuck in the queue .And that is a worrying factor for me. I want to be free in that sense .
Driving a little faster than other traffic typically 10 -20 Km /h
I dont need to pay so much attention to what is behind and the things in front I can see and adapt.

Skoda had a very bad reputation here it flipped over in a Maneuver " Moose Test " low speed and none sold for a
While
But when Volkswagen took over they were priced very low And no longer a bad design
I Believe there was one year waiting list after the first year and reputation got good
And Small Pickups Longer waiting time
The priced got raised

Back