Royal Enfield Interceptor 2019

Forgot to mention the Interceptor has a slipper clutch. Not sure why, and being as I'm the person who does painstaking research before buying - like, yeah - I don't even know what it does.

That’s interesting, they are normally installed on high revving sport bikes. They are designed to prevent wheel hop , and over revving the engine, when down shifting under hard braking. I guess the side benefit is buttery smooth downshifts!

Short errand this morning, less than 25 miles.

The bike is noticeably more comfortable with the suspension softened as mentioned above. No blurred vision on bumpy roads, so that counts as a big improvement - it's unlikely I've got the settings just right, but it'll do for now.

Earlier, said I didn't like the back tyre? Pirelli Phantom Sport 18 x 130/70. Felt insecure, felt like it was too narrow or too rounded? In fact, that is fairly low-profile? These things are very subjective, but since fiddling with the suspension, the back end feels much more secure.

I still don't love the back tyre - it doesn't like white lines or tarmac seams, wriggles and squirms like an eel in a jam jar. Usually those are signs of a worn down tyre, but there's hardly any wear. I can live with it, just try and avoid white lines and seams, but if I keep the bike I foresee an early tyre change.

Also mentioned that 5th and 6th gear are fairly close? Means that if you need to get a move on, for example passing a lorry, you got to change down two gears. In practice, it means in gave'n'take traffic on a two-way road, I don't bother to select 6th. 5th only puts the revs up a couple hundred and less work snicking down just one.

The gear change is very good, light lever action and lightly snicks into the next gear. Only had one false neutral and blame that one on meself for not making a positive change. HUGE contrast with the 500 Bullet where gear changes are like a Japanese tea ceremony, great care and attention and definitely not to be rushed.

Getting to know you . . .

Raymond, sorry buddy, someone beat you to the punch, fitting an XS engine into a Bullet chassis. Why, God only knows.

facebook_1714590779360_7191514964236197352.jpg

Last edited:
Ignoring XSive Bullets . . .

Todays jaunt to Hawick. Mostly unclassified back roads - it's a route I've used loads of times on the other bikes. Good fun on the 500 Bullet, which is not available until I get a round tuit. Found the Interceptor to be more work than the other bikes.

The suspension is a lot better than it was, so not the main problem. I think it was the on-off power delivery, which doesn't suit low-speed tootling. Some places, you're able to do sixty but mostly it's more like forty and the occasional tight bends in first or second gear. The XS is great on these roads with its easy torque and I suppose carbs give smoother transition than EFI? I kept finding that closing the throttle was like switching the bike off, you lose speed, bike drops into the bend and by then you're flapping about trying to get back on the power smoothly and possibly have to snatch a quick gear coz the 650 don't like ultra-low revs.

Hmmm.

Ignoring XSive Bullets . . .

Todays jaunt to Hawick. Mostly unclassified back roads - it's a route I've used loads of times on the other bikes. Good fun on the 500 Bullet, which is not available until I get a round tuit. Found the Interceptor to be more work than the other bikes.

The suspension is a lot better than it was, so not the main problem. I think it was the on-off power delivery, which doesn't suit low-speed tootling. Some places, you're able to do sixty but mostly it's more like forty and the occasional tight bends in first or second gear. The XS is great on these roads with its easy torque and I suppose carbs give smoother transition than EFI? I kept finding that closing the throttle was like switching the bike off, you lose speed, bike drops into the bend and by then you're flapping about trying to get back on the power smoothly and possibly have to snatch a quick gear coz the 650 don't like ultra-low revs.

Hmmm.
I think you’re going to grow accustomed to it. I find it different than the XS650, but a couple of days in the California mountains had me flogging it. I don’t think the RE delivers the bottom end grunt as the XS does. At least, not mine.

Last edited:
I suppose carbs give smoother transition than EFI? I kept finding that closing the throttle was like switching the bike off

I think you’re going to grow accustomed to it.

I would agree with Marty. I remember reading a lot of motorcycle reviews , where the reviewers complained of very abrupt throttle response. I do think it’s a EFI thing. Some bikes got rated lower than they should have because of it. They do sell aftermarket throttle tubes ( Throttle Tamer is one I can think of ) that have a more progressive ramped throttle to try and alleviate that sudden on / off transition, but I think they are model specific and I’m not sure you could get one for RE.

I know one of the first fuel injected bikes I owned was a Suzuki 650 V-Strom and the throttle was abrupt on it. With time you learn to be more smooth with your wrist twisting and that sensation went away for me.

I think I am very gentle with the throttle, to the point that the power is 'off' a fraction longer than it would be if I opened it quicker. It could be that trying even harder to be real smoooth contributes to making my arms tired. Or it could be the riding position?

Right now, I'm thinking the Interceptor is at its best on main 'A' roads and more work on backroads. But as said, it's all very subjective.

Went for a gentle meander along backroads - Lilliesleaf, Denholm, Bonchester Bridge, Carter Bar. Just for the fun of it but wanted to see if with the suspension twiddled the bike could handle backroads. If not, usefulness will be seriously compromised.

Not too bad on the backroads, taking it very easy outa respect for mud on the road and occasional ovine escapees. They get very panicky when they have lambs. Bike feels better by being more compliant. Plus probably getting more used to it.

And a slightly more brisk main road tootle back home, passing a few cars and making what the Police call good progress. I feel the engine is in the sweet spot at 4 to 5,000 rpm. Will pull from lower but doesn't feel enthusiastic until 4-ish. Will of course pull higher revs, but I've lost the habit of revving bikes for those last few HP these days.

Only about 45 miles altogether and my shoulders were starting to feel a bit stiff. Despite engine feeling smooth with that balance shaft, there must be a few hi-freq tingles - two fingers on throttle hand and one on the left had gone white and dead.

Hmmm.

Raymond, if it were me, one of the first things I'd do is install my favorite handlebars, the Euro bend. That might alleviate your sore shoulders. The way that the Euro bars droop down on the ends turns your wrists to a more natural angle. This makes them very, very comfortable. Your bars stick straight out on the ends and are also a bit too high for my liking. They make my shoulders sore just looking at them, lol.

Taken advantage of a few nice days in a row, done a few pointless perambulations on the Interceptor and W800. While allowing meself to ponder on the comparison between the two

First thing to say, no clear winner. Both are good bikes - great bikes if you like that sort of retro thing.

Out with Polly yesterday, 2013 W800 SE with ~37,000 miles, easy to confirm it's the best bike in the garage. Went along some of the same backroads and lanes I had ridden on the RE the day before. The suspension is compliant but controlled. I upgraded years ago to Hagon shocks, with adjustable damping and preload, plus Hagon progressive fork springs and their recommended oil. Just easy and natural along those type of roads, at a similar gentle pace.

The day before, had been impressed how much better the RE is since fiddling with its suspension - different model of Hagon shocks with adjustable damping and preload, plus pre-load adjusters in the forks, which I wound out to lowest. Oh, it's difficult but I'd say Polly pips it, seems like less work maintaining reasonable progress on minor roads.

But Polly benefits from more torque. Or at least, the torque feels better spread. Engine size is 773cc versus 648 for the RE, that's near as dammit 20% more capacity and I suppose with similar power output the larger engine jolly well should have a fatter curve? Both are quoted at 47 HP.

And with only five gears, I was doing less shifting with the Kawasaki. One section where on the RE I was running 5th gear and changing down to 4th for an uphill bend. Polly was perfectly happy to stay in top.

Top is higher on the W800. 60 mph shows about 3,300 rpm, vs 3,900 on the 650.

So on those bumpy backroads, the Kawasaki suspension coped better and the power delivery was better. Riding at reasonable but not fast speeds for the roads, neither bike ever made me feel unsafe.

Today, out on the RE, did a few miles of minor roads, different ones, and again it felt choppier than the W800 would have done. But when we got on to smoother, more open roads, the Interceptor felt really great. Smooth, no fuss, can't feel the suspension working. More involving because you have to select the appropriate gear, but do that and attack the road with a bit of verve and hey, felt more powerful, maybe sounded better too?

Excellent comparison Raymond! And about what you would predict.

the torque feels better spread. Engine size is 773cc versus 648 for the RE, that's near as dammit 20% more capacity and I suppose with similar power output the larger engine jolly well should have a fatter curve? Both are quoted at 47 HP.
I dug up these Dyno charts for both bikes. They really are similar, but you can see how much flatter and smoother the power delivery is on the Kawasaki, the torque curve also arrives at lower revs than the RE. As one would expect with a larger engine.
IMG_7029.jpegIMG_7028.jpeg

Back