Rubber Mounted Engine

AussieHard

AussieHardTail
Reaction score
I am sure this has been covered before but can't find anything on it. Maybe going senile!

Has anyone done a rubber mounted XS engine. If building a completely new frame is it a viable idea? I know harley do and I am sure it has been discussed to help remove XS vibration..

Any ideas or links?

Cheers.

I can see how this could help a lot for almost all the spots on the stock frame. Subscribed to see how this turns out :cheers:

Read some other people pose same question but no one seems to have done it.
I wonder if the engine is part of the structure and if rubber mounts would make the frame flex and worse or make it awesome & smooth?

Norton Villiers Triumph (NVT) made 2 isolastic specials for Yamaha in the 70's, might have been classicyams.com that i read about it, have a look around there, good site 2 check even if im wrong. cheers

Posted via Mobile

The Norton Isolastic frame was in two parts. The front forks, main spine, cradle and seat were one part. The engine, transmission and swing arm were mounted on two plates and made up the second part. These two assemblies are separated by the rubber isolastic bushings.

With 1500 miles on my new 1971 Norton, the frame wound up in a hard corner and like a spring, unwound, flipping the bike into a spectacular high side. Love, hate, love, hate... I could not come to grips with the flex of the rubber frame or stranding me unfixable on the side of the road, twice, far from home. I sold my Norton and bought a Triumph that I still have. Smoother than a BMW, more torque than a Harley, 384 pounds of fast, a Norton is quite the bike but not for me anymore.

Bill, thanks for linking that Yamaha site. Lots of interesting articles.

Tom Graham

Last edited:
Back