Rubber shavings when installing seals

calebxs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Last night I installed countershaft and pushrod seals on my 72. This isn't my first time installing seals but is in my first on this motor. I put the new seals in the freezer prior to installation and made sure to file any sharp edges on the case. I didn't chamfer the edges.

After gently tapping in the seals I noticed rubber peeling around the OD of each seal. It wasn't much but I feel like this is what people were talking about when they damage seals on the way in. I'm guessing I need to redo both if this happens.

Lastly, should I chamfer the edges of the cases it next time? They are the right seals, but look almost too big for the casting so I'm not sure if that's going to help. I read posts and watched videos of this and I think I did everything except grinding.

Thanks in advance.

I would try the new seals out first, they may be OK. Yes, it's a good idea to bevel the hole edges. The seal holes are line bored and very sharp at the entrance. Follow these tips, they really work .....

http://www.650motorcycles.com/XSseals.html

In particular, I like the tip about using Yamabond on the seal O.D. instead of oil. Besides helping seal the O.D. I'll bet it lubes it during the install process even better than oil which should also better prevent that rubber scraping.

Peeled seals, that's good.

RE: pushrod bushing, I think it's good. Now that I'm doing another order I might just redo that too though.

Re: Yamabond, that's a good call. I'd some sitting right there too!

I put some sealant around the OD of both seals too. Since it's winter in Chicago I should probably just try again. It's not like I'm riding.

Thanks guys!

I've never had problems with the countershaft seal, and I chamfer first.

As for the push rod seal, I have replaced plenty, I chamfer first, and I ALWAYS get a rubber peel. And, they work just fine. As previously said, both of yours may be okay.

Back