Running lights

pwizl

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
If I wanted to wire for running lights, both headlight and tail light on when bike is running, could I just run them thru the ignition switch to the on or run terminal? Do I need a relay in there somewhere? In other words, can I get rid of the headlight "on/off" switch and just power them when the ignition is on? I'd still have the high/lo wired like normal.

Last edited:
Not sure you would want the lights on when trying to start the bike. The older bikes had an on/off switch and the newer bikes had the relay to keep the lights off until the bike started.

Not sure you would want the lights on when trying to start the bike. The older bikes had an on/off switch and the newer bikes had the relay to keep the lights off until the bike started.

Ya, I may go the relay route. It's for my wife's CB360 and she's a little scatter brained :wink2: so I would rather eliminate the chances of her forgetting to turn the lights off and killing the battery. The ignition is the stock points with electric/kick start and a normal battery, just want to make it as safe and fun for for her as I can.

So even when the key is off you can still turn the lights on/off? If you could trace down the feed for the lights switch maybe you could just hook it to a switched 12v source.

So even when the key is off you can still turn the lights on/off? If you could trace down the feed for the lights switch maybe you could just hook it to a switched 12v source.

No, what I want is the lights to go on when the key is turned on and off when it's turned off. Take the switch totally out of the equation so she won't forget to turn them off and on.

On my 80 Honda CM400, It doesn't have a headlight on/off switch, the headlight comes on with the key but there is a headlight cut relay that turns it off when using the e-start.
You might want to look at a wiring diagram for my bike and see is you can modify your 360 to work the same way.
Leo

Back