Running rich for no reason

jay760

XS650 Guru
Reaction score

If you go to 17 1/2 minutes on this video then watch this one

3 weeks apart same petrol, I had 3/4 gallon left bike not touched, running perfectly 3 weeks ago one of my fastest times now missing from running too rich, such a big difference just can't understand how.

There's always a reason. Step one :c:heck for voltage drop between battery and coil. If there's more than 1 volt difference, back track until you find the source of the grief. That's a starting point; if the ignition passes that test let ui know, and we'll continue the march.

Last edited:
Ignition timing got retarded?
... though that's quiet a change in mains... :umm:

Last edited:
Wow. Just goes to show that every now and then the source of a problem turns out to be exactly what it looks like. Congrats!

Wow. Just goes to show that every now and then the source of a problem turns out to be exactly what it looks like. Congrats!
Yes cured the problem but what could have caused it, thats what I don't understand, strange thing is I used to run 135 main jets then over a few meetings it was slowing down cured it by increasing the main jet size now it's going back down again.

@jay760 Was there a big difference in the weather between the 2 runs?
Carbs are affected by the weather. NASCAR boys used to have charts on how to jet based on temps, humidity and barometric pressure.

Not noticeably but I'm assuming there must have been, it was cooler when it was running rich you would have thought I needed to increase the jet size.
The other odd thing is I used to run 135s in this engine, I put a head with 2mm over valves and went up to 150, bent a valve and put the 1mm over head back on it ran great for 2 meetings now I'm having to jet down again.
You would have thought it would be a constant with a bit of minor adjustment due to weather , I do know that 3 weeks ago was perfect conditions everyone put in pbs.

You got this country boy all confuddled. 4 steps on the mains is a helluva lot when it comes to atmospherics, especially in the case of smaller jets where effects per step are effectively larger. Mikuni used to print a jetting chart too. What carbs are you running? If they're pumpers there are unpleasant things that can happen with wear and spring tension.

Dellorto pumpers 36mm, the pump goes through a non return valve, up around the top of the carb and back down again, wouldn't have thought I had a problem there

Last edited:
Well today I had to increase the main jet to 190, not got a clue what's going on, but last race today its being pulled apart now

This might be helpful, might not, don't know the Dellorto setup. In the Mikuni 33 mm. 4-stroke flat slide pumpers a dowel on the bell crank holds the AP actuator back, and when the throttle is cracked the dowel releases a spring that pushes the actuator down.

Spent hours at the bench trying to figure out why the AP nozzles wouldn't spray. They sprayed just fine if I pushed the rod down hard and fast by hand. Finally the obvious got through my thick head--the carbs were from the 1980s, the springs were under constant tension and had weakened after only 40 years or so, and the weak springs pushed the rods down too slowly; pressure was lost before fuel got to the nozzles.

And although Mikuni America continues to sell the similar TM33/8012, they don't see fit to import the spring. I was about to order from Mikuni Topham in Germany when it struck me that I might as well try shortening the spring--it was no good anyway as is. Took 1/4" off and the nozzles sprayed like they're supposed to do.

Last edited:
Found out the reason it was all over the place, must have sucked something in, scored the bore, in fact every thing was knackered, piston pins were worn on the ends, I could feel a recess at the top of the bore, but amazingly on the last race of the season still managed to set a new class record.

Back